Just set up a hub and have some issues

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Tydus

Just set up a hub and have some issues

Post by Tydus » 2006-10-01 21:07

I have set up a hub that i intend to use for the townhouse complex that i am in. Each house has the cable internet coming in to the modem and then to the router. for each of the 5 computers in the house i can get speeds between 11 and 15 mbs which isnt the problem. Its the speeds im getting between houses which the best i can do is 30 kbs. I was wondering if there are any kind of special port forwading tecniques or settings that will alow for faster speeds between each house otherwise its going to be pretty pointless.

I had an idea of using the wireless router i have to set up a wireless network to get more people on the same network, which would eliminate the need to communicate between independant networks. But not sure if the only way to do that would be a passive connection which wouldnt do me a whole lot of good either. just an idea.

thanx for any help.

poy

Post by poy » 2006-10-02 09:34

using a wireless router could indeed be a good idea.

i don't know about optimizing the speeds, sure there are some "secrets", but i'm afraid you won't get so great results (going from 30kbps to 80kbps for instance, but i don't see how you could get 100 times more...).

however, don't waste your time checking at active / passive stuff: these will just allow people to connect. if they can connect, it's OK, and you have nothing more to look for there; it's not related at all with improving speeds. you can try to change some port numbers, sometimes some don't work well, but i don't see anything more to do.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2006-10-02 16:21

Without direct connections between the houses, all traffic between them must go out the normal internet line. It is possible to set things up so that external traffic goes out each house's cable line, and traffic between the houses goes over the ethernet cable you would run between them. However, you'll probably need high-end routers at each house to be able to specify which routes to take to different IP addresses. This might get expensive, and it certainly won't just be plug-and-play like normal home router connections.

Tydus

Post by Tydus » 2006-10-02 19:46

Ok just to clarify and make sure i understand what your saying, each house has a router in it (a Greyfox F7559 by a company called On-Q Legrand) and each seems to be fairly well equiped to do specific port mapping, i know i can at least map the ports for the hub im using cause its working right now. So if i am able to specify the ports in each house I can create a direct route even though the houses are independent and can only transfer data via the web? or were you saying that the only way to get a direct route is to physicaly hookup an ethernet cord from one router to the other?

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2006-10-02 20:48

The only way to connect the houses together for a LAN is to have a local network device like the wireless router be the connection point. Otherwise they are all going to be connecting through the ISP's offsite hardware and speeds between two adjacent houses will be just as slow as if they were miles apart. Port mapping is unrelated to this issue.