help please

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

rocdj

help please

Post by rocdj » 2006-09-17 02:40

there are 3 hubs in our lan including me, i want the ppl to connect thgh only one address ,,,,i mean if one hub is not wrkg the ppl shd be redirectd automatically to the other hub

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2006-09-17 03:54

What hub software are you using?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

rocdj

Post by rocdj » 2006-09-17 11:58

hub s/w is ynhub

GOLIATH
Account Disabled Due to Policy

Post by GOLIATH » 2006-09-19 04:01

use ptokax.....there is an option for that issue right there

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-09-19 04:55

GOLIATH wrote:use ptokax.....there is an option for that issue right there
If the hub isn't running ("not wrkg"), how can it redirect people anywhere? That's impossible, with any hubsoft. Use a load balancer of some kind instead.

GOLIATH

Post by GOLIATH » 2006-09-19 05:08

or u can use a third part app like directupdate which allows u to redirect users from one location to another

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-09-19 05:39

GOLIATH wrote:or u can use a third part app like directupdate which allows u to redirect users from one location to another
Um, no. It allows you to point a DNS to a certain IP. If that IP isn't online, nothing more will happen.

GOLIATH

Post by GOLIATH » 2006-09-19 09:03

ok he is asking if he can take over his buddies hub if it goes down and yes he can, if he uses a third party app like directupdate he can add his buddies account and keep it as inactive and if ever his buddies hub goes down he can activate it and it will send the users to his comp instead of his buddies.....i have tested this thoery out and it works soooooo there is one opition for you buddy

poy

Post by poy » 2006-09-19 19:33

GOLIATH wrote:ok he is asking if he can take over his buddies hub if it goes down and yes he can, if he uses a third party app like directupdate he can add his buddies account and keep it as inactive and if ever his buddies hub goes down he can activate it and it will send the users to his comp instead of his buddies.....i have tested this thoery out and it works soooooo there is one opition for you buddy
if his connection is off, "directupdate" or whatever won't connect to the Internet, and nothing will get updated...

GOLIATH

Post by GOLIATH » 2006-09-19 20:15

ok im going to have to explain this in a dumbed down version.....ok lets say you have a computer called comp 1 and I have a computer called comp 2 now lets say comp 1's addy is comp1.no-ip.org and comp 2's addy is comp2.no-ip.org now they both have seprate accounts with no-ip, now comp 1's isp cuts his connection for whatever reason....now comp 2 can use a third party ip updater such as DirectUpdate which allows multiple accounts from 125 different dynamic address servers such as DynDNS and no-ip.org so and logs in both accounts from no-ip thus allowing users who used comp 1's addy to connect to comp 2's computer....now again i have tested this and it works...so im stating facts not my opinion

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-09-20 01:57

I don't think there's any need for you to dumb any of your posts down. But in this case you're missing the point. Unless "comp 2" is constantly checking if "comp 1" is online or not, it will not know when it's supposed to take over the comp1.no-ip.org address, thus the way you're describing cannot be automatic. The original poster also wanted to only use 1 address.

GOLIATH

Post by GOLIATH » 2006-09-20 02:10

well in there case I took into consideration that they are college friends so they must know each other, Im sure they can contact each other somehow I mean my cousin called me 1,000+ miles away and said his hub is down could I host it for him.........admit it im right jesus all this back and fourth is not even worth it

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-09-20 02:57

Are you deliberately missing the point? Contacting someone and asking them to take over hosting is not automatic. This "back and forth" as you put it is a result of your inability to understand the actual question here (and elsewhere).

BW~Merlin

Post by BW~Merlin » 2006-09-22 08:54

The simplest way would to be configure ynhub how ever you want it and save a copy onto each of the backup computers. Then if the main ynhub server went down ring up who ever and has the backup server and have them load their copy up. Now depending on how you have configured yhnub (whether it has a dns or ip address that users enter to connect to your hub) you may or may not have to change settings on the backup computer to match the original computer (like ip). My guess is that as you’re on a lan your hub is ip based which means that they backup pc will need to change it's ip address to the ynhub computers ip for all the users to connect. If its dns based then it should just be a matter of turn ynhub on (correct me if I'm wrong I haven't dealt with dns at all)

Now I know this isn’t automated and can be fiddly to change ip address but I have run ynhub on two different pc’s for 2 years (a different pc each year) at uni and have never had the hub go down except when I have told it to or power outage (if your on the same lan then chances are you have lost power as well so it doesn’t really matter about a backup). Why exactly do you need to have auto redirect? Is ynhub hosted on a pc that is turned off at night? If that is the case find an old pc that can run XP (it doesn’t matter how well it runs XP) and stick it on that and leave it (that is what I do and it works fine).

GOLIATH there is a chance that rocdj won’t have a dns address such as the case in a uni residential hall where traffic to the outside world can be heavily monitored to such a method may not work for them.

Rocdj if you can tell us you exact set up and requirements it would make things easier for us to help you.

I hope that helps

GOLIATH

Post by GOLIATH » 2006-09-22 12:47

hmmm interesting........ *thinking*