Hub Hosting Questions ... (Quite a few)

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Fiscal of Leaves

Hub Hosting Questions ... (Quite a few)

Post by Fiscal of Leaves » 2006-09-03 00:02

ok, im looking into hosting a hub but i have quite a few questions concerning the matter...

i guess top priority would be

1) do i have to constantly be on the net and logged on to dc++ to host a hub...the answer is most likely yes.... if so is there any way i can set it up so other operators or co-owners can host the hub if my connection gos down?

2) hub secuirty. what are the risks of secuirty into my operating system, or hub?

3)is there any way hub users can set up a share that is designated only for the hub, as i intend to have a heavy set of rules which bans alot of material from the hub...alot of garbage.

4)any illegalites involved?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: Hub Hosting Questions ... (Quite a few)

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2006-09-03 06:05

Fiscal of Leaves wrote:1) do i have to constantly be on the net and logged on to dc++ to host a hub...the answer is most likely yes....
If you want the hub to be available 24/7 to others, then yes. You will need to be connected all the time. Note that the hub software and DC++ are separate things so you will not need to have DC++ running all the time, in order to have the hub available.
Fiscal of Leaves wrote:3)is there any way hub users can set up a share that is designated only for the hub, as i intend to have a heavy set of rules which bans alot of material from the hub...alot of garbage.
No. Neither DC++ nor its derivatives support having separate shares for separate hubs.
Fiscal of Leaves wrote:4)any illegalites involved?
That would depend on many factors, primarily what country you are in. Consult a lawyer if you have genuine concerns.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

poy

Re: Hub Hosting Questions ... (Quite a few)

Post by poy » 2006-09-03 07:34

Fiscal of Leaves wrote:1) do i have to constantly be on the net and logged on to dc++ to host a hub...the answer is most likely yes
most likely yes, however i've heard of a router that integrates a hard disk and a BitTorrent client, so that you can download while the computer is shut down. so, if you could put a DC hub software on this disk, maybe...

Fiscal of Leaves

Post by Fiscal of Leaves » 2006-09-03 08:37

is there a way i can share the hub with other oc-owners or mods, so that when i am no longer on the internet, they can host the hub untill i return?

imb

Post by imb » 2006-09-03 08:59

Fiscal of Leaves wrote:is there a way i can share the hub with other oc-owners or mods, so that when i am no longer on the internet, they can host the hub untill i return?
I'm not aware of any way other than sending the operator the zipped up hubsoft folder with the new settings everytime you shut it down. They need to have the hub IP generator program installed on their PC also, and to know your login details. This is all technically no problem, but takes a bit of fiddling and it will cause a lot of disruption to the users if you intend to do this more than a few times per week.
2) hub secuirty. what are the risks of secuirty into my operating system, or hub?
Generally you should be alright with a correctly configured router and software firewall. Sometimes you'll run into the odd moron who will want to DOS attack you for no reason at all, so obviously the more people you irritate the greater risk you are at. But I've been running my hub for over 2 years with no major security problems.
"Every Englishman must have a hobby. Some like to collect the stamp, some like to make the jam, but the most fun is to a kill a little animal with a shotgun or rip them up with wild dog."

Fiscal of Leaves

Post by Fiscal of Leaves » 2006-09-03 12:54

ok, thmx :D