I get advertise spam in main chat

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

rza

I get advertise spam in main chat

Post by rza » 2003-03-25 17:26

Hi

Noticed the other day that some fu****** uses a script or some to send PMs to main chat advertising for other hubs in my genre. How can i prevent this from happening? It isnt a user that sends the PM so it must be a script of some kind. Any idea how to stop this?

/rza

Snooze

Post by Snooze » 2003-03-25 20:19

I know for sure that one or more of these sites has anty adv. scripts.

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... .php?t=763

Good luck ..

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-03-25 20:43

First, the easiest way would be to check if the advertiser has a fixed IP =) If it's fixed, just add the IP to your perm-ban list. Of course, it's not going to work if they're on dial-up or adsl, but it's such a simple solution that it would be a pity not to check this first and start from there...

-----

If it's an automated script/bot/client sending it quite fast (flooding), you can catch them with the built-in function of the hub software allowing you to block chat messages when the sender is sending over x characters per minute.

-----

You could also add

Code: Select all

If Not curUser.bOperator And curUser.iChatCharactersInLastMinute>500 Then curUser.Kick() : Exit Sub
to the DataArival sub of any script of your choice already running in your hub. This will use the same built-in chat characters counter of the hub, but it will kick them, instead of simply filtering the message.
(I use 500 in my own hub, but you might want to set it down a bit if you want to filter a repeating advertisement rather than massive spam)

-----

A bit more aggressive and unfortunately likely to get some innocents caught in the blast if they share their favorite webpages in the main chat, you can also resort to FLiXD's AdBanner script (click here for his website). It will however kick the nasty evil «fu****** » at his/her first post of the addie, so it's faster and more efficient than the 2 solutions based on chat characters per minute.

Also, if it's the same person advertising in your main chat for the same exact hub each time, and if you don't mind editing just a bit the script, you can fine-tune AdBanner to work only with this specific addie -or better yet, the complete advertisement if it's the same, word for word, each day-, and let AdBanner run in "no innocent civilan kills" mode (a much needed thing these days).

Along the same lines, you could use Gadget's ChatSecurity script for the advertisement string (click here for his website)

-----

Finally, as they say back home : «Dobelt geneit hebt besser». So the best solution is probably to mix a bit of each =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

rza

Post by rza » 2003-03-26 14:30

Ok first id just like to say thanks for your replies!

Ok its not flooding but they send a autogenerated by some script saying like: Fuck uF join bla bla bla so using flood wont do i guess and i dont see the user but ive banned the IP from 2 of the hubs they advertise in.

So ill be looking at your URL:s and try to find a script that solves it.

Thanks alot