So you wanta make a hub..well

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Crack1

So you wanta make a hub..well

Post by Crack1 » 2003-03-22 19:07

Well so did I and here is what I learned in the last hour.

The research - I've used DC++ for a few months. Other then that I'm a newb to this whole file-sharing biz.

Start up - umm well I really didn't do anything. I have an old fileserver with 6 scsi drive that my work just gave me. So I decided to put it to some use outa my house.

The Software - yeah again I really didn't have to think to much about this one. I needed something that was quick and easy to install, oh and that works on WinXP. So I chose Neo-modus at http://www.neo-modus.com/?page=Download This hub software required the client be installed, no biggie for me since I had it already.

Installation/Setup - I just clicked the install file that installed the hub software. After launching the software I set up my IP and a brief description. Set users to max, set myself up as an op and click "Start Serving".

Scripts - Again I have no experiance in anything here so I browsed this forum for advice. Found a sit that had DC++ scripts and I downloaded 2. One that tells jokes evey few minutes and one that tells the time every 15 minutes. At the scripts tag on the DC++ software I clicked "new" and just copied and pasted the downloaded scripts into them. Now I've already logged into my hub and the scripts just started to work. -- cool =)

Now I have no idea if anyone else can log into my hub or not. I havn't seens anyone else in it but me.

Oh and another quick piece of info that I picked up. Your Hub will not regester with the public list for 24 hours(Twenty Four) so don't wig out when you don't see your hub on the list right away.

Well that is my first hour on hub creation. For other newbs trying to start a hub I hope this will help a bit.

-+=Share the Planet=+-
-+=West Coast USA=+-

Snooze

Post by Snooze » 2003-03-22 21:39

Great work :-)
I'm sure that other newb's will find this very usefull !!!

Crack1

Post by Crack1 » 2003-03-22 22:41

Thanks Snooze...

So, Ive been playing around a bit more - Here are some more things I learned.

YAMB's all in one is a great script for people like me- Just install it and your good to go. No fuss no muss.

My next task is to put in a trivia bot - Not sure how this is going to go since YAMB took out the area where you add script in DC but I'll figure it out.

I had a friend successfully connect to the hub to so I know everything is working well.

Anyone else with some great tip feel free to post - or throw up a like to a post already here to help the Search-impaired people.

-+=Share the Planet=+-
-+=West Coast USA=+-

ender

Post by ender » 2003-03-23 11:04

Just drop your scripts to the Scripts subfolder, NMDC hub will use them automatically (YAMB disables the scripts window, because it's only purpose is to start/stop and edit the scripts, and if you try any of those things with YAMB, you just destroy it).

Crack1

Post by Crack1 » 2003-03-23 12:41

Thanks ender that is exackly what I did and it worked great - though I had a mess going in there with a joke script, trivia script and a time script -- lol at least it kinda felt like I wan't so alone.
-+=West Coast USA=+-

E=mc²

Post by E=mc² » 2003-03-23 14:49

test message
NuclearFusionâ„¢ 24:7

Crack1

So where am I now....

Post by Crack1 » 2003-04-03 14:36

Well its been a few weeks so I thought I would throw up an update as to where I am at and a few things I have learned along the way.

First let me say I've revamped my hub a few time. I think i got it right now though. At first I installed YAMPs but YAMBs take out the part of the hub were you can put in new scripts and edit them right from the hub program itself. So I deleted this and started over. I meet up with "Snooze" and he gave me a link to his site. He had a general bot script there that I used. It works great. It does everything I need. I also installed a small trivia bot that is kinda fun.

Second thing I did was install a router on my home network. No I ran into some issues with this. Being that I'm behind a router that is NATing out an IP range to all my computer on the network I needed to forward a port to my hub. As well as DC++ which I was using at the time. For each computer that had DC++ on I had to setup on port forwarding with in the router setup. I also had to set a port (I choose 411) for my hub to talk through. Now people trying to connect through my router are sent where they need to go.

Third thing I did was mask my IP via no-ip.com. The was a free thing to do and I though was kinda cool.

Thats it now my hub is up and running. I got all my friends there and we are having a blast sharing our stuff.

Thanks to everyone for there help - feel free to stop by and say hi anytime.
-+=West Coast USA=+-