Best server for a server using Red Hat 9.0?

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Scaredy_Retard

Best server for a server using Red Hat 9.0?

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-08 03:05

Hello,

I've been putting up with using Open DC Hub 0.7.14 for the past few months on my server, which as the title says, uses Red Hat 9.0, and it is really starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes it can go upwards of a week or two before its memory leaks force me to e-mail my ISP and ask that my server be rebooted, but now it seems to be crashing the server every two days. It sucks and I cannot stand it any more.

So at any rate, what Hub software would you guys recommend for my server? The sooner I transition to something that isn't such a buggy pile of feces, the better.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2005-10-08 06:23

You can use VerliHub, that is quite popular nowadays. Another interesting alternative would be MPPS/Voltron.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-10-08 08:24

So your server is at your ISP? It seems like there should be something less drastic than having to call them to have it rebooted.

A hub I visit was running Open DC Hub for a while, and actually wrote their own hub software to transition to:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/py-dchub

The recommendation of hub software might differ depending on the number of users you have, as well.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2005-10-08 11:14

Have to recomend trying DCH++ http://dchpp.digitalbrains.com/ , runs fabulously for months without a problem under linux. As Garg says, it depends on how many users. I wouldn't recomend it for 3000+ user hubs.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2005-10-08 11:24

Xan1977 wrote:Have to recomend trying DCH++
I forgot about it, sorry. :oops:
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

Scaredy_Retard

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-08 16:52

Yes, I have a server hosted at a hosting facility. I wouldn't say it's an ISP. But at any rate, I haven't come across any other way to restore access to my server when it crashes other than filing a reboot request. I mean, when it crashes, I can't even initiate an SSH connection with Putty. It's just gone until it's rebooted.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. It looks like DCH++ is really want I want, seeing as the Hub I run is quite small and there's a plugin right there to prevent people from using older versions of DC++, which is what I normally do anyway. However, it looks like you have to compile it yourself, and I don't know how to do that. I could barely get Open DC Hub up and running, let alone some thing where you have to download the source code :(

If I could get some assistance with that, I would love that. If not, uhhh, I guess I'll just start hammering away at my keyboard sometime soon until it compiles properly.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2005-10-08 17:13

There is a DCH++ section in the forum.