How to create HUB on a webserver?

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

indianguyinlondon

How to create HUB on a webserver?

Post by indianguyinlondon » 2003-03-11 06:11

I saw a php script that allows to host a IRC server on a normal webserver that supports php.

just wondering if there is one for dc so i can host server on server which is up 24/7

sandos

Re: How to create HUB on a webserver?

Post by sandos » 2003-03-11 06:48

indianguyinlondon wrote:I saw a php script that allows to host a IRC server on a normal webserver that supports php.

just wondering if there is one for dc so i can host server on server which is up 24/7
Are you sure it didnt just relay connections to a real irc-server, i.e. a web-irc client?

indianguyinlondon

Post by indianguyinlondon » 2003-03-11 06:51

no im sure. it was a script to host server.

Actually i jjst found the site which allows to host dc hubs on linux/unix web servers. but i dont know nothing about configuring the software. theres about a page of instructions with teh softare and its tooo confusing

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-03-11 06:57

your posts doesn't make any sense to me.. are you sure that you know what you are talking about?

i-don't-mean-to-offend-you-with-this-post-ly'ers
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-03-11 06:57

no!? a whole page!? damn.. that author needs to be put down ;)

on a serious note,
a link to that site/software might yield some helpful answers
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

[A&AM]Fireball

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-03-11 07:06

i'm 99% sure that this is a lunix DC server ... but you won't be able to run it in a "webserver" unless you got at least shell access to it
learn more about the [A&AM]Hubs: AnimeAndAsianMovies.de.vu

smitty

Post by smitty » 2003-03-11 07:16

only way is if you are using your computer as the web server which they probably are and that in effect makes it just another hub...
Knowledge is Earned BUT Wisdom is Free

|Freon|

Post by |Freon| » 2003-03-12 02:27

I had a similar idea some time ago. There are some benefits
if you could do hub software with web-based scripting language,
for example: you could host it any server with supports your scripting language.
(including free webspace providers around the web)

In fact, I coded some pre-version which has some basic features, like chatting
and private messaging etc. It is completely done with
php, mysql and apache platform using sockets in php.

It has several bugs in it, no time or interest to fix them right now but I think I will finish
the damn thing when I get energy to do it. :lol:

[RO]VeNoM

Post by [RO]VeNoM » 2003-05-06 00:51

|Freon|, I'm trying to do the same.
Can you please help me with / give me the code that genereates the Keu from the ?$Lock ?

Tang

Post by Tang » 2003-05-06 02:01

I don't know if it would be possible to write a complete working hub in php. I think the main issue would be that you would be hard up to find hosting because the socket usage would probably make most hosts a bit nervous.

however, I was thinking about writing a completely web based client in php (which is possible, I know). I've written a search tool that can connect to any hub and run a search in php, and plan on making it public (not the source) soon.

I thought it would be an interesting project. if anyone's interested -- seriously -- in helping me out I'd be happy to include you in the project. php, and php session experience needed. I've got the rest working already.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-05-06 02:02

Can you please help me with / give me the code that genereates the Keu from the ?$Lock ?
There's a very nice explanation at the bottom of this webpage (the Appendix A):

http://www.lwave.ca/shasta/protocol.html

-----
I saw a php script that allows to host a IRC server on a normal webserver that supports php.

Ok, obviously, you know that you can't run a full flavored server just on a "webserver". That is, if you call a webserver something like a free account on geocities, freewebs, or whichever paying and more featured variation of essentially the same service.
So yes, you'd need a hub software written in php for this to work. If there was one out there, it would be such great and noticeable news that essentially everyone would know about it within 24 hours =p So I guess we can safely say that so far there is none.
Actually i jjst found the site which allows to host dc hubs on linux/unix web servers. but i dont know nothing about configuring the software. theres about a page of instructions with teh softare and its tooo confusing
The linux/unix hub software(s) will work on the machines that host websites (if they are linux/unix webservers, of course, but most of them happen to be). That still doesn't mean that it will work with the kind of account mentioned above. These softwares are meant to be executed and installed by someone "at the keyboard" of the server, with the proper rights to execute code. In other words, if the server isn't yours, you can't run these programs.

The matter isn't the machine not being able to run it, or no code existing to run it on linux/unix platforms. The problem is a security issue; as your account on the server probably won't have the rights to execute that kind of code on the machine -unless the machine is yours-.

As you pointed it out yourself in your first post, what you are looking for would be a php hub software. The hub softwares already existing do indeed work on the machines commonly used for webserver, but they aren't in php, and require a admin account to install & run.
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best