Any Ideas on how to make people stay in your hub?

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Zmyth

Any Ideas on how to make people stay in your hub?

Post by Zmyth » 2004-10-15 12:01

Hey there, I run a humble 4TB( share record) hub on a college campus. I am proud to say that my hub has about 25% of the student body (800 on campus) that uses my hub. The problem is we have about 170 students that are registered but there are only about 70 on at any given time. I just wanted to borrow you genius minds to discuss ways to get people to leave the program running as much as possible. I also want to do this without doing anything to drive people away. So if anybody has any awesome ideas let me know.

Thanks!

Herodes

Post by Herodes » 2004-10-15 14:07

1st rule dont kick ppl .. :)
2nd find some nice share-a-lot user ....
3rd "be nice, give advice" is your moto ....
4th keep their interest with news, jokes, links, etc.
5th share a "past-exams" folder. ..
[url=dchub://greekcyprus.no-ip.org].::+LiVe-¦-OnCE-¦-WaiT-¦-foR-¦-eVeR+::..[/url]

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-10-15 14:18

hubs with women always have a higher probability to survive. ,))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-15 21:21

Duct tape their socket connection to your TCP stack. :D

Zmyth

Post by Zmyth » 2004-10-16 17:53

Thanks for all the advice people.

To reply to your posts:
We dont kick people unless they break the rules. I like the "past-exam" folder, thats a good idea (im sharing a dynamics solution manual. We have a website for people to go to and log on and have personalized news and such.

We are actually starting to get some girls on our hub. The word is getting out among the girls and I expect to get at least 10-20(conservatively) more girls before the end of the semester.

Actually since we made everybody register we have seen high user record and share records. I think people take something more seriously when they have to go through the trouble of reigstering and such. Plus if you have a professional looking website you hub looks more creditable.

We have also being trying to get the people on the hub to have more pride in it. We have consistantly posted number of users registered and incouraging words to try to get people excited to see the hub grow. Seems to be working so far. Thanks everybody for their posts so far.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-17 00:27

Query: are you behind a school firewall? I don't see the point in registrations if only people on the campus network can access. Though I suppose you might want to keep the professors out....

Zmyth

Post by Zmyth » 2004-11-24 02:26

The reason we had people register at first was to be able to enforce bans. Before when we banned somebody they just changed their username and/or IP and jumped right back on. The other reason was to keep network Admins off since this school is very Anti-filesharing.

oh and yes we are behind a firewall.