bot that bans users that dont share the right files...?

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Sasse

bot that bans users that dont share the right files...?

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-24 10:11

ok. so ive just started setting up a new dc hub running the yhub software. and i have this problem. im in need of a bot that can perform this task:

when a user loggs in it automaticaly downloads their filelist and checkes all files shared to a predefined list... so for instance i might add this filname movie1-byGroupA-DVDrip-XVID.avi 678mb and then some more files.. and when a user loggs on it checks this user for their files.. and if one of the files the user has dos not match the files alowed on the hub he is kicked.. of course it has to be abble to understand that all files in this list must not be on the client computer... just make sure that he is not wharing any other files than the ones listed. i want this because many users change the filnames of downloaded files and remove all the information so the file mentioned above would instead be called movie1.avi and this is just so bad since many users might not know what they are downloading... and since there will be only 3-5 new entries in this "alowed files list" every week i think it will not be a problem..

i hope that someone might be able to tell me about a bot like this and if this has bean asked before i am very sorry for asking again.

and if there is no bot like that maybe someone would like to make on =) im sure it could be a great help to many people... or maybe just me :S... neway.. thx in advance

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: bot that bans users that dont share the right files...?

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-24 11:50

Sasse wrote:i want this because many users change the filnames of downloaded files and remove all the information so the file mentioned above would instead be called movie1.avi and this is just so bad since many users might not know what they are downloading...
If users are mislabeling files, kick them.

Your bot idea is stupid. Why would you want everyone to have to share the same set of files? This is against what DC is about.

Sasse

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-24 12:22

well quite simply because of this. me and some friend want to set up a dc hub for a anime series called naruto. this hub is to be a part of our naruto network and users who once register on our website will gain acces to our dc hub, our forums, and will be given a +v in our irc channel. we dont want users to share files that are "non-naruto" primary objective of the hub is to give our users acces to naruto episodes since many cant find these easily enough on other dc hubs and dont know/want to use bt. hosting all episodes on a single web server would be very dumb since we have a budget of $0 we are doing this for the naruto anime comunity and we dont want to be accused of illegal filesharing i.e. movies that are available in the u.s. and/or europe. anime from japan is allowed to be shared since the creators cant sell these movies/tv-series is the usa/europe and instead se the filesharing as a type of advertisement. i hope that is reason enough. so does anyone know of a "stupid" bot that can do this?

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-08-24 12:44

So let me get this striaght: you want to make a hub solely for Naruto and ban anyone who tries to share other files? Yeah, good luck with that one. The Narutards strike again with a vengeance! Personally, I think I'll stick to real anime hubs.

RabidWombat

Post by RabidWombat » 2004-08-24 13:15

"so does anyone know of a "stupid" bot that can do this?"

No such script exists. I wouldn't recommend making such a script eithe since partial file lists do not exist. Users would most likely have to run a seperate client just for your hub (or their shares will get them kicked/banned).
BitTorrent sounds like a much better solution (it's just as easy to setup as DirectConnect). Run a tracker that only registered users can submit torrents on. Have a couple people moderate the torrents and post the links on a site. Easiest way to control what can and can not be shared.

-RabidWombat
"If a pretty poster and a cute saying are all it takes to motivate you, you probably have a VERY easy job. The kind robots will be doing soon."

Sasse

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-24 13:25

im aware of that my users will have to use a seperate client. but thats not my concern. right now you have the option of using a diferent nick, email, description when you add a hub to your favorite hubs. maybe sometime in the future there will be a option of editing sharelists for different hubs? neways im leaving that for the future. the point is that the bot will have a list of files that are alowed. if one or more files that the user has is different fron the one in the list he will be kicked.

im not asking for anyones opinions on if this is a good idea or bad. im just asking if it can be done and if anyone knows then please tell me. it would be very helpfull if the people who dont know anything or dont want to help but just complain about various things such as my taste in anime would just stop posting..

LordSqueak

Post by LordSqueak » 2004-08-24 14:00

How about you do what every other Op is doing in the DC-world, check the users filelists.
Then you can kick people who share files you dont want shared on your hub.

:roll:

Sasse

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-24 14:16

well i cant be at the computer 24/7.. thats why i was wondering... is there any bot or any way at all that i can take a file.. in someway identify it (like by name or size or tth even) and then when a user logs on to the hub automaticaly have the filelist downloaded and if on of the files the user has does not matc my alowed files list he is kicked and will receive a message saying why.... is there any way? please share!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-24 15:57

Sasse wrote:well quite simply because of this. me and some friend want to set up a dc hub for a anime series called naruto.
Fuck, I went through the trouble of defending Naruto and fellow fans yesterday, and here an example of naivete strikes me in my face.
Sasse wrote:maybe sometime in the future there will be a option of editing sharelists for different hubs?
If you've searched on the matter, you'll see it's very unlikely to happen. And less so to happen on a timely basis (because it's very ugly).

There's other anime out there, why is it a good idea to prevent people from sharing it? If you want to make sure users share some particular series, you can probably use Ptokax and a script that emulates some nice features of DCH++ - preventing users from downloading if they're not registered. Check their list, make sure they have the files you want in it, then register their nick and give them a password.

Far more sensible, as long as you don't prevent users from sharing other files.

Sasse

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-25 02:49

well im getting no help here... i dont know why you care so much as to why i want this. im not asking for your opinions just help in making it happen. bandwith is precious to everyone and the main goal of the hub is to make my users able to get their naruto episodes wherever they are as long as the computer they have has an internet connection and a dc++ client.. they just type their username and password and there they have it. now sharing other anime and movies and music is good to.. but thats not what this hub is for.. we dont talk about other movies and music in the channel, nor do we post news about the newest james bond movie on our site. its just naruto.. think of a hub where you can get all things naruto and know that it is the nr1 place for naruto fans, i se this very hard if people in the hub dont actually have to share naruto to be there. sure there might be users in the hub with only 1 or 0 episode (there will be no share limit) but if they have 0 they will atleast get 1 otherwise they would just leave. and if you have 1 then if someone needs it it will be availabe on the fly and you will know that the slots of this person is not used for sharing eminems latest video insted... maybe some of you understand what im trying to accomplish... i dont want to fight about this with any of you, im simply asking for help in doing it. please dont reply this post asking why?... i just want to know how.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-08-25 09:00

Simply put, I'm not going to put effort into doing something I see as incredibly stupid, and I'm guessing the others feel the same way. What about people sharing the manga unzipped? Are you going to put the TTH of every single image on the allow list? What about the fact that there are multiple releases of every episode by different groups? Also, due to pre-hash corruption, people might be sharing Naruto, but one byte may be off, so they won't be allowed in.

Sasse

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-25 10:37

thought about that.. seriously.. let it go.. i have a list of all the releases of naruto.. check it out at www.animesuki.com then click your way to naruto.. not that hard.. no need in sharing the manga cause it can go on the site... it is not that big compared to the episodes.. unfinished downloads go in the unfinished downloads folder which should not be shared in the first place anyway so there? anything else? seriuosly im trying to get some help and please please please dont reply if you dont know how to help... if you think it is stupid. FINE! im NOT asking for anyones opinios. i have about 300 users and this is what has bean decided. everyone agreed that this is what we want users acctualy requested this.. anyway if someone might acctualy want to help:

i was thinking that i might be able to do this by using the tth root. when a user logs in his filelist is downloaded. all the files are checked by comparing the tth-roots present in the list with the ones alowed.. the ones alowed may be the ones available on the bot computer.. i think this might be possible with using dcdm++ but i dont know how. something with the adl search. unfortunately i dont know exactly how the adl search works so if anyone has some input it would realy help, a guide even.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-08-25 12:55

if you force everyone to be active, you can use a hub script to do searches for you
simple one, two or three letter searches should return most files.
you'll need a hub that supports scripting support, e.g. PtokaX
see the ptokax board at board.univ-angers.fr for this (be nice when asking for scripts)
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-26 11:59

Sasse wrote:im NOT asking for anyones opinios.
You can present your problem, and expect not to receive alternate suggestions or criticism, but that's just not reasonable.

The solution I'd come up with is to use IRC for talking, and ask people to seed on bittorrent.

Sasse

Post by Sasse » 2004-08-29 05:13

ok nobody needs to post anything more in this thread. consider it closed.. i dont know why bust this must be the worst forum ever. i posted the same questin in the y-hub forums and they gave me the solution without asking why or giving me a hard time. you guys just turned this into politics. cmon what is wrong with you? seriously look at the replys in this thread. nothing in there can help nobody. dont know what to tell ya. of course this is not going to work. you'll be replying anyway giving your worthless coments. whatever. bye

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-30 19:20

Sasse wrote:you'll be replying anyway giving your worthless coments.
Interesting.

LordSqueak

Post by LordSqueak » 2004-09-02 03:54

Sasse wrote:well im getting no help here... i dont know why you care so much as to why i want this. im not asking for your opinions just help in making it happen..
You want people to help you program a script , of course they are going to care about it.
Who in their right mind would want to program something they dont think is a good idea?

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-02 13:55

Good to see someone who agrees with me. :)