Hub and Client on the same computer behind a firewall.

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Terrestrial

Hub and Client on the same computer behind a firewall.

Post by Terrestrial » 2003-04-03 18:46

Im going nuts over this, searched the forum over and over looked on the net but I cant find a solution.

I use DC++ and whant to set up a little private hub. I use the neo-modus version of the hub, got myself no-ip account, configured the router wich is a NetGear RP614. Ports 411, 1411 and 1412 is forwarded atm. But the darn hub wont accept me... I keep getting connection refused my target machine. I havent changed any important stuff in the hub settings either.

How do you solve this? Is it possible? :?

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-04 02:49

I use DC++ and whant to set up a little private hub. I use the neo-modus version of the hub, got myself no-ip account, configured the router wich is a NetGear RP614. Ports 411, 1411 and 1412 is forwarded atm.
1) I guess you did that part, but just in case... In the router's config, you have forwarded port 411, 1411 and 1412 towards your local address on your LAN, right ? (something like 192.168.xxx.xxx, theorically)
And in DC++, you have of course forced the IP to your external IP (the one no-ip gives you) that your provider assigns to you (well, to your router actually), and the port to 1411 or 1412 (or another port that you opened on the router for DC++).
You said you searched the forums, so I'm pretty sure that's not your problem as it's mentioned about everywhere, but just in case someone else with the same problem reads this thread, that's where to start =)

2) Your post subject is "Hub and Client on the same computer behind a firewall". In your post, you only mentioned that you setup your router, but in case you also have a firewall, you need to open the ports 411, 1411 and 1412 on it as well or they'll never reach your computer.

3) If you're using Windows XP, it has a built-in firewall, you need to disable it as well (or at least open whichever ports you're using with the hub and with DC++)

4) Some providers might do some exotic NATing with their own routers and make things really complicated to configure. I have personally seen cases where no-ip seemed confuzled about which IP to use, and ended up reporting a different one than http://www.myip.dk/
Check if your no-ip IP matches the one reported by http://www.myip.dk/

5) Depending where you connect from, you might also have a firewall outside of your direct physical access blocking traffic on some ports, like 411 for example, as it seems to now be a well know port for peer-to-peer activities, which not everyone likes =p
Configure your router to forward you the trafic of some completely random port (like 2984, for example). Setup your DC++ to use it, and try to connect to someone else's hub with it. If it works, do it again with another completely random port (like 3810). Same thing, try to connect to someone else's hub with it in DC++ and see if it works.
If it does as well, try to run your hub on 2984, and DC++ on 3810, and try to connect to your own hub that way. Do you still get connection refused ?

6) There could simply be something wrong with the hub software itself. The best way to test against this is to attempt to connect to 127.0.0.1; which is your "localhost" IP (i.e. it refers to your own computer). The connection won't even go out of your computer and thru any proxy, firewall or anything... If you still get "connection refused" when you attempt to connect to your hub on 127.0.0.1, it means something's wrong with the hub itself (you forgot to click "start serving" on the hub, your computer needs a reboot because you closed & reopened the hub software but it didn't manage to restart properly, etc etc).
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

qqzm

Post by qqzm » 2003-04-04 03:03

On your dc client, either
1) set it to passive mode,
2) set it to active with an ip of 127.0.0.1.
(Option 2 will, however, stop you from accessing external hubs. You could have 2 copies of DC, one set to active mode for local hub, the other set to active mode with your external ip for accessing other hubs).

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-04 03:20

2) set it to active with an ip of 127.0.0.1.
You don't need to set it to anything to connect to your local hub. As long as the hub you connect to is "127.0.0.1" it will work, precisely because no networking equipement is involved in a transaction with the localhost =)

I have my own hub in my favorites twice; once with 127.0.0.1 for troubleshooting, and once with it's no-ip version, which is the one I typically use, because it lets me be aware of problems with the no-ip service or connection problems with my provider (which happens at least twice a day anyway, Cox Cable seems to be completely incompetent or something).
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

Terrestrial

Post by Terrestrial » 2003-04-04 03:50

Connecting through 127.0.0.1 worked fine so I guess the hub software works, going to let some freinds try and connect from outside and see if its the router that screws up.

Does it affect dl/ul if I'm connected through 127.0.0.1 and my friends through my no-ip adress?

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-04 05:46

Does it affect dl/ul if I'm connected through 127.0.0.1 and my friends through my no-ip adress?
Yes and no =)

No, it doesn't affect the stats displayed by the hub. When it sends data, it will always consider it as an upload, no matter if you're connected via localhost or via an "external" IP

Yes, it affects the bandwidth usage of your internet connection. Whatever is sent to the localhost won't go out of your computer and travel to the net via your connection (actually, it should only travel thru your proxy, your modem, then come back without "going on the net" per se. It shouldn't exit your provider's "local" network, but I could be wrong there).
So if you have less stuff traveling via router and modem, it also means more bandwidth available for your other needs, such as surfing, etc etc, and of course downloading/uploading from your friends.

That said, the traffic between your hub and your client should be quite small, so it's definitely not a major bandwidth difference at all; but yes, there is one =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

Terrestrial

Post by Terrestrial » 2003-04-04 16:49

Great thanx for all the answers... It seems to work fine with me connecting through 127.0.0.1 and the others as usual.

Pailin

Post by Pailin » 2003-05-30 16:47

Cheers for the useful posts :)

Got mine going, though can only connect to it myself via the 127.0.0.1 method, whereas everyone else can connect to it normally using my no-ip.com address (effectivly your external IP address).

I'm told this is because the PC cannot resolve an address out to the internet back to itself, as that is effectivly like a dog chasing its own tail...

Sorry for the technical description (however technically accurate it may or may not be) :wink:

So a quick summary assuming DC++ & DC Hub software on same PC behind a router:

My prog vers:

DC++ v0.251
DCHubSetup.exe as found 30/05/03 at http://www.neo-modus.com/?page=Download

DC++ must have a port opened up in router directed to your internal IP address. (in your router this process may be refered to as something like one of following: Virtual Server, Port Forwarding, Port Redirection or similarish - all mean the same thing just different manufacturers terms :roll: )

*NOTE your internal IP can be found by typing "ipconfig" at a DOS prompt

DC hub software must have a different port No. opened in router directed to your internal IP. It maybe a bug, but did not work for me if not default port of 411 of hub prog, ie couldn't change port no successfully + yes was set up in router correctly tried several times.

Having entered hub address detail etc in DC Hub prog, clicked the "Serve" button others should be able to connect via given address (no-ip.com or your external IP which can be found by visiting http://www.myip.dk/).

To connect yourself via DC++ to your own hub, you must point DC++ at your own internal IP address to connect due to probs described earlier in this post.

Might answer some queries hopefully, and cheers for the above posts too, helped me a lot ^_^

Pailin

Post by Pailin » 2003-06-08 07:24

Just thought I would add a little info:-

Not being able to run hub of different port other than 411 was me being daft... :oops:

Always simple when you know how :)

You set the hub port to your chosen number, start hub, now running on you chosen port.

If you try to connect to it as normal you will get a "*** Connection refused by target machine" message as you are trying to connect to the hub on th wrong port (DC & DC++ try to connect to hubs using 411 by default)

To fix this just add :(port) to address like:

addy.no-ip.com:1412

You're now up and running 8)