Pseudo-legal warning about redistributing WTL

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

nerochiaro

Pseudo-legal warning about redistributing WTL

Post by nerochiaro » 2004-01-28 07:14

First, big bold usual disclaimer: i am not a lawyer.

I am posting this warning because i really like DC++ and would hate to see the authors sued by MS or something equally evil.

The problem lies in the fact that when you d/l the original WTL distribution from the MSDN site, you have to agree to a license (EULA). As far as i can understand the legal jargon in it, it seems to me that you're not legally allowed to redistribute your own modified versions of WTL.

Clearly, i might be wrong. But this issue has been also discussed various times in the WTL mailing list on yahoogroups. Most of the posters (including the WTL designer at MS) seems to agree that redistributing modified versions is not legally allowed.

The only way around legal limitation seems to distribute diff patches against the official WTL distribution, and have devs apply them to an original WTL distribution on their own machines.

Said this, i personally believe that a lawsuit would be quite unlikely, but i also think that is better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to this kind of legal issues.

peace,
--
<a href="http://nerochiaro.net/">nerochiaro</a>