Process priority of the VCSPAWN / CL / compile exe (VS 6.0)

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

sarf

Process priority of the VCSPAWN / CL / compile exe (VS 6.0)

Post by sarf » 2003-01-28 11:54

Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 fix

I've found an interesting article that describes how to patch your VCSPAWN.exe so that it runs on a lower process priority, thus avoiding the stutters when you edit as you compile your new shiny DC++ binary.

Simply open up VCSPAWN.exe (located in <Visual Studio Directory>\Common\MSDev98\Bin) in your favorite hex-editor, skip to offset 0x27EC and change the 00 value there to 40. For verification, check that the preceding byte is 68 and that the succeding byte is 02. Save the exe (be sure to save a backup if you feel squeamish about hax0ring exes).
If all went well, your compile process should now run at idle priority, thus leaving you ample CPU-time to surf this board, listen to your own hand-crafted MP3 or editing your sourcecode while you compile (my own special favorite).

This patch was blatantly stolen from the following URL, and all thanks should go to Leigh Stivers, not me.

http://www.codeguru.com/tips/vcspawn.shtml

Sarf
---
Eggs on top, canned goods on the bottom...

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-01-30 06:37

Nice one =)

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-03-13 17:22

In Visual Studio .NET (yes, I too have finally succumbed to the lure of this evil beast) you need to patch the file in the following directory :
<MS Visual Studio .NET>\Common7\Tools\vcspawn.exe

The offset is 0x1930, the byte before should be 0x68, the byte in question should be 0x00 when you start and 0x40 when you're done and the following byte should be 0x02.

Sarf
---
Do I amuse you? Am I a clown to you?