Force get theirlist.bz2

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Gratch06

Force get theirlist.bz2

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-06-07 04:17

I'm playing with some more modifications of source code again. This time with .251 . I need to be able to send a request to get a file list in bz2 format from a user, and be granted a mini slot to do so. I've adjusted code so that bz2 is the default list, but being over the minimum size requirement, the lists won't retrieve until I get a slot. All clients on the receiving end are running modified .181 source (and I can't change them at the present). Nothing in the communication protocol has changed as far as I am aware. Using a modified .181 client (matching), I can get the file list just fine regardless of slot.

I'm just trying to figure out what is being sent differently in the .251 client and how to adjust it so that it can be backwards compatible and still get a slot for the file list. I am not looking at a pretty patch or something to do this, so a cheap hack will work just fine for me.

Thanks
- Gratch

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-06-07 05:00

Oops - didn't read your post thoroughly enough.

You should be able to get their filelist with 0.251 if you could get it with 0.181. If you really want to know what is different, just start NM DC hub, enter it with three clients (two 0.181 modified and one 0.251), slotlock, try to get the lists and see what comes out in the status messages thingy in the hub.

You might be needing to force DC++ 0.251 to recognize that the 0.181 supports BZList, however.

--- OLD MESSAGE BEGINS

Not possible, I think.

The 0.181 was the last version that did not grant an automatic mini-slot to the OPs, and it might have contained the user list bug (e.g. that bz2 lists are not considered user lists).

So, unfortunately, there is no way of forcing people to give you their filelist (other than with PMs as usual).

I may be incorrect as to the 0.181 source code, however.

--- OLD MESSAGE ENDS

Sarf
---
Welcome to the Federal Bureau for Reducing Bureaucracy!

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-06-07 13:59

On the hub's side, everything is identical between what the two clients send. Both send:

Code: Select all

$RevConnectToMe [10mbt]Gratch06 [NULL]Gratch06|$ConnectToMe [10mbt]Gratch06 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port|
If I can get at the communique between the clients, I can tweak a bit more, but really not sure how to do a cheesy poor man's debugger in C++ other than at the command line (cout << data;), which won't do me much good in VC++.
sarf wrote:The 0.181 was the last version that did not grant an automatic mini-slot to the OPs, and it might have contained the user list bug (e.g. that bz2 lists are not considered user lists).
Being an OP does not change the situation, so that one checks out. Two modified clients can contact each other and get a bz2 file list no problem though, so it appears that the modified client does support bz2 as a file list type (and I tested on a user with a 300Kb bz2 on two modified .181 clients, and it went through).
sarf wrote:You might be needing to force DC++ 0.251 to recognize that the 0.181 supports BZList, however.
The modified .181 clients in communication with each other (and I really have no means to output the raw client to client sends and receives that I know of) request and get bz2 lists all the time.

On a side note, the reason for grabbing BZ2's was because of smaller file size. If I can still get a slot and grab a Dclst, that will work just about as well (albeit work a little more slowly).

- Gratch

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-08 22:45

Gratch06 wrote:If I can get at the communique between the clients, ...
Get Ethereal - http://www.ethereal.com/

(tcpdump for Windows)

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-06-09 01:21

Awrighty....Ethereal worked wonders! It appears that the modified client also modified the values for pk("DCPLUSPLUS" VERSIONSTRING "ABCABC"). Once that was fixed, It was all good to go. Thanks again for the speedy knowledgeable help :D

- Gratch

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-09 22:25

Gratch06 wrote:Thanks again for the speedy knowledgeable help :D
Now, I'd have believed you if you said: "thanks for pointing me to to a tool that let me solve the problem on my own." :wink:

Seriously, I'm glad you worked it out.

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-06-09 22:44

GargoyleMT wrote:"thanks for pointing me to to a tool that let me solve the problem on my own."
:D I can say that too, but the first one makes you look better ;)

I'm glad those tools are out there, but not being a network admin, I had heard of them, but never seen actually seen or used one. It took a little getting used to, but the program works wonders for exactly what I wanted to do, without having to do any tweaking of the source code. It may also save me hassle on other issues sometime later on down the road.

Thanks again, for whatever you want to be thanked for ;)

- Gratch