Need Help Compiling 0.25

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Need Help Compiling 0.25

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-25 12:45

Hello all!

I was hoping that I could actually compile this all by myself but after two days on it, I need to escalate. Bear in mind that I have never used VS or C++ before, but I have a programming background and learn quickly.
I'm actually happy at how far I got. :)

Anyway, to the problem. Trying to compile 0.25 using VS.NET and coming up against a brick wall. Having read compile.txt and a *lot* of the Developer Help section, I have downloaded and included the following packages in the following order:

stlport-4.5.3-dcpp
wtl7.0
MS Core SDK\include
<Rest of includes>

Building gives me the following errors:

Code: Select all

------ Build started: Project: client, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...
stdinc.cpp
e:\Apps\Microsoft\Core SDK\include\Windows.h(157) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'excpt.h': No such file or directory

client - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Build started: Project: bzip2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...
randtable.c
v:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\stlport\stdlib.h(23) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '../include/stdlib.h': No such file or directory
huffman.c
v:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\stlport\stdlib.h(23) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '../include/stdlib.h': No such file or directory
decompress.c
crctable.c
compress.c
bzlib.c
blocksort.c
Generating Code...

bzip2 - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Build started: Project: zlib, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...
zutil.c
v:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\stlport\stddef.h(23) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '../include/stddef.h': No such file or directory
trees.c
v:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\stlport\stddef.h(23) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '../include/stddef.h': No such file or directory
infutil.c
inftrees.c
inflate.c
inffast.c
infcodes.c
infblock.c
deflate.c
Generating Code...

zlib - 9 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Build started: Project: DCPlusPlus, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...
stdafx.cpp
e:\Apps\Microsoft\Core SDK\include\Windows.h(157) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'excpt.h': No such file or directory

DCPlusPlus - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
It's not as bad as it looks. The problems seem to lie with three files: stdlib.h and stddef.h in stlport and Windows.h in the MS SDK.

stlport issues
I cannot understand why the line "# include _STLP_NATIVE_C_HEADER(stddef.h)" would make it try to include "../include/stddef.h" (and similar for stdlib.h). Either way, this path (and therefore file) doesn't exist, so problem.

MS SDK issues
The Windows.h file complains about not finding excpt.h. The only place this exists is <SDKRoot>\include\Win64\crt and <SDKRoot>\src\crt.
I tried including both these directories but they produced other errors so that probably isn't the way to go.

All other errors I've had so far I have been able to fix, but here I am stuck. I'm sure the answer is blindingly obvious, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-25 15:28

Update on the SDK issues:
As I said bove, I tried including both the directories containing excpt.h and got errors. Both files are subtley different so I decided to go ahead and include <SDKRoot>\include\Win64\crt\excpt.h as it gives me the following error:

------ Build started: Project: client, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...
stdinc.cpp
v:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\stlport\stdarg.h(23) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '../include/stdarg.h': No such file or directory

client - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
[snip]
This is the same kind of the thing as the stl issue. So at least I have cut it down to one type of problem rather than two. Right? :?

I'm wary though about including the excpt.h that I have included as it may not be the "right" one and could possibly break things later on. Who knows.

DC++ Guide | Words

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-25 22:18

In my Visual Studio .NET configuration I have this set-up with regards to include directories :

stlport
wtl7.0
$(VCInstallDir)include
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include
$(VCInstallDir)PlatFormSDK\include\prerelease
$(VCInstallDir)PlatFormSDK\include
$(FrameWorkSDKDir)include

... thus I draw the conclusion that SDK directories should be included BELOW the normal includes (or so it seems).

Hope this helps.

Sarf
---
Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crud.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-26 05:59

sarf wrote:... thus I draw the conclusion that SDK directories should be included BELOW the normal includes (or so it seems).
Which seems to go against what is in Compile.txt and everything I have read here ... but it made no difference anyway.

My problem lies with the stlport package and the lines like

#include _STLP_NATIVE_C_HEADER(stdarg.h)
I know that _STLP_NATIVE_C_HEADER(header) is a macro definition to create a path for a header. The first part of the path, defined in another macro, is "../include/" and so all includes are of type "../include/header" which is where the problem lies.

I have the information. I just don't know what it means, or what to do with it.

There are things that I have tried, but I will leave off describing them until later as they would just be indications of me stumbling around blindly. :)

DC++ Guide | Words

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-26 07:36

Stupid question time (wheee) !

Have you the November 2001 SDK installed?

What OS are you running? Have you reinstalled your OS lately?

Have you uninstalled the SDK but kept the files? (unlikely, but...)

Umm... I don't have any more questions at the moment.

Sarf
---
"Anybody who cannot comprehend mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wash, cook food, and not make messes on the floor." - Robert A. Heinlein

Atomic Jo

Post by Atomic Jo » 2003-05-26 09:27

Did you try to change the STL port directory to stlport-4.5.3-dcpp\STLPORT in your options ?

(This is my include folders, and no problems appear).

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-26 13:03

sarf wrote:Stupid question time (wheee) !
But they're the best kind!
sarf wrote:Have you the November 2001 SDK installed?
February 2003 Platform SDK. Freshly downloaded and installed two days ago from http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/pla ... sdkupdate/
sarf wrote:What OS are you running? Have you reinstalled your OS lately?
Windows XP SP1. No.
sarf wrote:Have you uninstalled the SDK but kept the files? (unlikely, but...)
Nope. This is the first time that I have installed it.
sarf wrote:Umm... I don't have any more questions at the moment.
Hopefully my answers will have spurred more questions. I'm willing to answer any questions and attempt any suggestions made.
Atomic Joe wrote:Did you try to change the STL port directory to stlport-4.5.3-dcpp\STLPORT in your options ?
This is *exactly* what I have in my includes section:

V:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\stlport
V:\DC++\DCPlusPlus-0.25-src\wtl7.0
E:\Apps\Microsoft\Core SDK\include\Win64\crt
E:\Apps\Microsoft\Core SDK\include
$(VCInstallDir)include
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include
$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include\prerelease
$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include
$(FrameworkSDKDir)include
I tried putting stlport as a subdirectory in stlport-4.5.3-dcpp. Logically it should make no difference and in actual fact, it didn't, as I thought.

Any more questions/help/suggestions?

DC++ Guide | Words

MICK69

Post by MICK69 » 2003-05-26 16:39

Yop,

I'm not a beast in programming ( like in speaking english :wink: ) but I think your problem is that you've got the 64 bits SDK release installed.

Wish it helps you anyway.
If I speak english like a spanish cow, it's perhaps because I'm french

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-26 17:24

MICK69 wrote:I think your problem is that you've got the 64 bits SDK release installed.
What exactly makes you think that? Is it the Win64 in the includes?

Because that certainly worries me. But I'm pretty sure that I didn't install the 64 bit SDK instead of the 32 bit. Surely it would complain if I had? Or am I giving it too much credit.

The responses so far seem to be concentrating on the SDK, which I don't understand because as far as I can see, the SDK is not causing any more problems. All the errors are errors due to stlport (specifically the macro definitions). Can anyone confirm/deny this?

DC++ Guide | Words

MICK69

Post by MICK69 » 2003-05-26 17:33

In my case with vs.net I didn't have to install any new SDK, just using the one furnished with the program. I said it's perhaps because of the 64 bits SDK because it is called like that in your include path n°3, but I can make a mistake after all. I didn't say that because of the appening but just after read your post.
If I speak english like a spanish cow, it's perhaps because I'm french

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-26 17:35

TheParanoidOne wrote:Because that certainly worries me. But I'm pretty sure that I didn't install the 64 bit SDK instead of the 32 bit. Surely it would complain if I had? Or am I giving it too much credit.
I haven't updated my Platform SDK... Though I'd use 3718.1 - simply because I don't like their IE only method of installation. And the current one they offer off of their Platform SDK Full Download site is incomplete (notice, CAB 13 is the same size as 12, they forgot 14+!). However, that doesn't really matter since the Platform SDK installed with Visual Studio .NET and .NET 2003 are both sufficient to compile DC++.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-26 18:32

This is actually where I got it from - all ~350MB of it! I just couldn't remember the exact link earlier on in the page.
GargoyleMT wrote:However, that doesn't really matter since the Platform SDK installed with Visual Studio .NET and .NET 2003 are both sufficient to compile DC++.
Which again leads me to conclude that all this chat about the SDK is taking us in the wrong direction. Any ideas?

DC++ Guide | Words

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-05-27 04:15

Suggestion :

Uninstall / remove / annihilate your SDK installation.
You might need to reinstall VS .NET (unlikely).

I only had the November 2001 SDK installed (since I used Visual Studio 6.0). I "upgraded" to VS .NET without installing any new SDK (I think). Thus, it is the SDK that is the problem (at least, the way I see it).

Hope this helps - we need more people in the developer hub asking strange questions about the inner working of the FlatTabCtrl, threads and locking. :)

Sarf
---
That must be wonderful! I don't understand it at all.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-05-27 05:02

:D <-- Me!

Problem solved. I now have a compiled version of my very own, and it works!

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. :)

For the who care about how, read on ...

Well, it seems that the excpt.h file was what was causing all the problem in the end, and not stlport. As i suspected, the answer was something very simple. I had only installed the top level of the C++ section in VS.NET setup. The file excpt.h was in one of the lower branches, which I fould out by installing and analysing the additional files. And now all is well.

A very rare problem that I doubt will ever come up again unless you have someone else like me who likes tight control over what gets installed on their system.

Now that I've got it working, I'm gonna leave it till the weekend. I've been devoting too much time to DC++ and avoiding my *actual* work. :shock:

Thanks again. :)

DC++ Guide | Words