Compilation error under vc6

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

VoiD

Compilation error under vc6

Post by VoiD » 2003-05-21 16:09

Hello, World!

I've been trying to compile dc++ 0.242 and 0.25 and... i've got a lot of internal compiler errors while compiling this stuff... all slt and awl files are placed right and compilation should be successful :) I've got SP 5 installed. I've used vc6 for a lot of time (couple years), I compile a lot code every day, but i have never got an error like this:
fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1794)
Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
i dont want to deal with m$technical support... the compiler fails at almost all of the files extept the bzip project. any idea why does it happen?

best regards
VoiD
p.s. sorry for my bad english :P
KiLL Em All!
VoiD Em All!

smitty

Post by smitty » 2003-05-21 18:57

make sure wtl and slt are first in your includes
Knowledge is Earned BUT Wisdom is Free

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Compilation error under vc6

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-21 23:09

VoiD wrote:fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1794)
Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
Do a re-install to make sure your Visual Studio install isn't b0rked?

VoiD

Post by VoiD » 2003-05-22 08:13

The wtl and stl files are placed correctly and they are first in my includes...
I've reinstalled vc++ but it did not help.
Any other ideas?

ThX
Best regards
VoiD
KiLL Em All!
VoiD Em All!

Atomic Jo

Post by Atomic Jo » 2003-05-22 10:21

Did you install a recent platform SDK from MS ?
(Place the include files folder before your MS folder in options)

VoiD

Post by VoiD » 2003-05-22 10:32

well... my platform sdk is from 1999, but could you please tell me how the version of platform sdk could cause the ___internal___ compiler error? If some files are not up-to-date then compiler will tell me that there are some errrors in the code but it shouldn't cause the compiler to fail...
KiLL Em All!
VoiD Em All!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-24 12:19

VoiD wrote:well... my platform sdk is from 1999, but could you please tell me how the version of platform sdk could cause the ___internal___ compiler error? If some files are not up-to-date then compiler will tell me that there are some errrors in the code but it shouldn't cause the compiler to fail...
I agree that it shouldn't happen, but as a FYI, the compile.txt suggest November 2001 or newer of the Platform SDK.

If reinstalling didn't help, try a newer SDK, then do an uninstall, deletion of all applicable files, then a reinstall. Yeah, it's a really blunt instrument, but...

A quick look (on 4 hits) on google didn't help much either, but maybe an in-depth check of the results will help you out more.

VoiD

Post by VoiD » 2003-05-24 12:32

Well, if you say so... I'll try :) I hope it will solve the problem.
Thank you for helping me :))

Best regards
VoiD
KiLL Em All!
VoiD Em All!

VoiD

Post by VoiD » 2003-05-25 06:15

*(#$#(_*$^(&@ ##$#$)(*@ !!!!!!!!
I'm connected to Internet through 64kbit/s cable tv, I spent all night downloading the newest platform sdk and... nothing has changed!!!
I ve looked at the link you wrote and I found out that many people experience similar problems. They say that most of those problems were caused by things that make no sens and the only way was to change code that was correct :|
Did anyone experienced similar problems during compilation of dc++ and have solved this problem? I thought of installing vc++ .net but first of all it (afaik) won't run on win98 (i dont want to install win 2000 / xp) and second of all I found out that people that use vc++ .net have also experienced the same error! So how so many people who use vc++ 6 have no errors during compilation?
Thanx for any ideas
Best regards
VoiD
KiLL Em All!
VoiD Em All!

valloth

Post by valloth » 2003-05-25 09:08

Did you put the SDK directory (C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SDK\INCLUDE) into your include directories as well, right behind stl and wtl?

apostolos

Solution..

Post by apostolos » 2003-05-25 22:27

I've got the same problem under VC6. Probably the installation is crappy, but don't know for sure. Are you using windows 98?

Anyways, I found that the project compiles perfectly if you export a makefile and then use the nmake utility as:

NMAKE /f "DCPlusPlus.mak" CFG="DCPlusPlus - Win32 Release"

BTW, since i'm mostly a linux user, i have to say that programming in windows is more like praying to God for your project to compile.. No offence but never had such problems on linux :)

Cheers!

VoiD

Post by VoiD » 2003-05-26 14:33

Thanx for halping me! Wanna know what's the solution? Well, I tought that it could be some problem for the compiler to use prcompiled headers or something so I tried to compile it using "rebuild all". After that I pressed the F7 button... and... couple more files passed the compilation. After those files compiler crushed again so I pressed F7... and so on, and so on till the whole project compiled (almost) successfully. Now I'm a new happy user of dc++ compiled by myself. There were also some errors while compiling the slt-dependent code... I am sure it is bug in the compiler... I won't write it here :)

Apropos the idea of using linux - I have mandrake 9 installed and I must say that it is much, much more stable, faster and simply better than windows :))) There are also many free, opensource programs like ide's and compilers so writing programs for linux is not so hard. Unfortunately, I usually write programs that require serious 3D graphics, so using OpenGL is the most nesesary thing for me. And here is the problem. NVIDIA's drivers are good, but are not always stable, and sometimes I have problems while lounching the OpenGL code that is correct and runs under win98, but causes errors or executes not exacly the way I'd like it to do. I think I must "hack" into linux to know how to write programs for it and I'll do that when the semester is finished.

Thanx you all!
Best regards
VoiD
KiLL Em All!
VoiD Em All!