Requested File For Download Not Found Issue

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisster

Requested File For Download Not Found Issue

Post by chrisster » 2003-04-23 19:05

I just noticed a little issue with MP3 files that I haven't seen brought up yet in the forums. Does anyone happen to know what is going on here?

Situation:
I have DC++ 0.242, my friend across the hallway has a modified DC++ 0.181 which reports his MP3 bitrates to the server. We are on a local campus server:

[19:29] <Hub-Security> This hub is running version 1.0.25 of the NeoModus Direct Connect Hub Software.

Issue:
After he opened DC++ and connected to the server, I immediately queued up his entire Music folder (about 180 MP3 files). About half of the files downloaded successfully and then I received a "File not available" error. All the downloads stopped.

So I suppose that while his Client reports the Bitrates of his MP3s to the server, their filename to the DC server changes. For example:
Lets say he has the actual file "Some Cool Artist - Wicked Song.mp3" shared. His client slowly parses through all his MP3s and reports that file's name as "[128Kbit] Some Cool Artist - Wicked Song.mp3". As a result, my download queue can't find the original filename anymore.

Is this what is really happening? The issue itself is a trivial annoyance, but is there someway to download the file to my computer without the Bitrate tag? (I don't want the tags on the front of the filenames). Is this a purely server-side issue? Or would it be possible for a normal DC++ client to tell the server to ignore the bitrate tags and download the file with the actual filename?

If there is some way for the client to tell the server "I want the REAL filename" then I would love to see this implemented in a future version of DC++.

Thanks for your patience with this post. I know it's long.

-Chris

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-23 19:16

Well, actually if he's changing (virtually) the filename, his DC++ should handle translation of that virtual file name into a real filename. I don't see any use for a DC++ option to manually download a file, the clients should make sure it just works. (That's assuming your diagnosis of the problem is correct.)

If he'd like to ask for help (or share code) about it, he's welcome to ask here.

chrisster

Post by chrisster » 2003-04-24 16:09

Okay, so I talked to the guy who wrote the modded DC++ and it turns out that yes, it has nothing to do with the DC protocol or anything. His code just lies to the server about the filenames. This thread is dead.

-Chris