port hash database generator

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

edgjerp

port hash database generator

Post by edgjerp » 2006-02-05 04:52

I am trying to use dc++ through wine under linux with wine, because one hub I'd like to enter will not accept my current client. My problem is that hashing over 100GiB of data in wine takes insanely long time, and often freezes, so that I have to kill the process. is it possible to "extract" the parts of dc++ that generate the hash database, and create a script or program that does not require windoze to run. if there are utilities out there already, I'd like to know.

Pothead

Re: port hash database generator

Post by Pothead » 2006-02-05 07:15

edgjerp wrote:I am trying to use dc++ through wine under linux with wine, because one hub I'd like to enter will not accept my current client. My problem is that hashing over 100GiB of data in wine takes insanely long time, and often freezes, so that I have to kill the process. is it possible to "extract" the parts of dc++ that generate the hash database, and create a script or program that does not require windoze to run. if there are utilities out there already, I'd like to know.
Try hashing it in 5 gig chunks. :) When it's hashed a bit. close & open, hash a bit more. :)

Before you try that, put a low number in the Max Hash Speed of Advanced / Experts only, and see if that helps. :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: port hash database generator

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-02-07 10:55

edgjerp wrote:if there are utilities out there already, I'd like to know.
There are not, as far as I know.
edgjerp wrote:is it possible to "extract" the parts of dc++ that generate the hash database, and create a script or program that does not require windoze to run.
Nearly anything is possible. Try it and see what you come up with.

Naga

Post by Naga » 2006-02-07 11:00

Or try linuxdc++ (linuxdcpp.berlios.de). It's a GTK+ GUI on top of the DC++ client.
Thanks to all open source programmers!
They enable the rest of us to learn a lot!

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2006-02-07 11:43

Contributing to the linux section:

1) I tried linuxdcpp like in May. Chat/PM/download worked fine.

2) Instead of Wine, you should try QEmu with KQEmu, since you can run Win2000/XP (and many more OSes) within the emulation layer it creates.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)