Feature and Bugfix help

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Naga

Feature and Bugfix help

Post by Naga » 2004-12-15 10:18

Hi,

How about a mailinglist or a section here on the forum where one could post patches for comments and help in finding bugs?
Thanks to all open source programmers!
They enable the rest of us to learn a lot!

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-12-15 10:48

Bugzilla?
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-12-15 12:25

Bugzilla. Or, take over the developer's hub and talk business on it.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-12-15 15:41

Intelligent discussion? On DCDev Public? :o :shock:

Naga

Post by Naga » 2004-12-15 16:44

It happens :D

Guess I'm out voted, bugzilla and the dev playground it is...
Thanks to all open source programmers!
They enable the rest of us to learn a lot!

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-12-15 17:16

PseudonympH wrote:Intelligent discussion? On DCDev Public? :o :shock:
The highlight of this evening's discussion so far has been what kind of meat is in hamburgers. I think it may be dog. Is that not highbrow enough for you?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-12-15 19:28

PseudonympH wrote:Intelligent discussion? On DCDev Public? :o :shock:
didn't I give you the right to kick users at one point? ;)
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2004-12-16 09:01

GargoyleMT wrote:Bugzilla
Yes, there is always the Bugzilla, but what about features that isn't entered? Should people enter a RFE/Bugreport just to be able to upload a patch?

This "mailing list" should of course not only be included for DC++, but for the entire DC community. A mailing list (or something like that) could enable people to upload their patches if they want other clientdevelopers to have their feature/bugfix or if that particular patch was rejected by arnetheduck (read: any clientowner).

If I recall correctly, there was (or still is) a mailing list that wasn't public, only for the developers. Was this mailing list only for ADC, DC++ or what? Instead of creating an additional mailing list, this list could be used.

I looked at Bugzilla's documentation but couldn't find anything (I only scimmed through it quickly): A section in Bugzilla to enable people to upload items without filing a new bugreport/RFE. If this can be done, I'll file a RFE and see what vinnia have to say about it.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-12-16 12:03

ullner wrote:Should people enter a RFE/Bugreport just to be able to upload a patch?
I certainly haven't put all of my feature suggestions into bugzilla. Mark did make a UPnP bug just to upload his UPnP patch. It can be argued both ways, but the larger the patch, the more appropriate bugzilla is.
ullner wrote:A mailing list (or something like that) could enable people to upload their patches if they want other clientdevelopers to have their feature/bugfix or if that particular patch was rejected by arnetheduck (read: any clientowner).
You're one of a handful of people who would use it. In that sense, for existing RFEs, that's what bugzilla is for. As for style concerns, that's why you've passed around patches on the dev hub.
ullner wrote: Was this mailing list only for ADC, DC++ or what? Instead of creating an additional mailing list, this list could be used.
That mailing list is for protocol steering, not for features of individual clients. Only hub developers and client developers are members of it.
ullner wrote:A section in Bugzilla to enable people to upload items without filing a new bugreport/RFE. If this can be done, I'll file a RFE and see what vinnia have to say about it.
Put it in your share on the hub listead, and use magnet links. Or use email. Those are pretty simple solutions, especially for the number of users who would take advantage of it.

You can always post here, and host your patch on your own webspace...