Block IP and hostname

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zmyth

Block IP and hostname

Post by Zmyth » 2004-11-24 02:20

I run a humble 4TB hub on a college campus. The network administrators have recently decided that filesharing is bad and have blocked our DNS names several times. We have figured out that there is a snitch that keeps telling them what we change our address to. So heres our plan:

1. Make a executable that automatically opens DC and connects to the hub, randomly using 1 of 10 DNS hostnames. This way we dont have to tell the users our hub address. The problem with this is that as soon as users connect to the hub it shows the IP or DNS hostname at the top! Is there anyway to create our own client or some way to modify the server so that it wont show the IP or DNS name when users connect? Me as well as my users would appreciate any help you can give us. Help us screw the man!

Zeel

P.S. We are running a Ptokax server and only people living on campus can connect to the hub and it is a registered user only hub.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-11-24 06:26

DC++ is open source, just remove that part from it.

Zmyth

Post by Zmyth » 2004-11-24 22:41

thats what we were thinking but...but how do I do that?

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-11-25 04:40

Find someone who majors in C++ programming, or similar. He should know what to do.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-11-25 23:43

Ok, i read your post again after answering it once.

The snitch can run "netstat" and see which ip/hostname he/she is connected to. So hiding it in the client is of no use realy useless in the long run. Most people know of such apps.

And since DC++ is licensed under GPL. If you make such a mod of dc++, you have to provide the source-code for it according to GPL which means that people can see everything in the code.

How do you plan to stop users from using a plain client from entering?

So to sum up: Sure, its possible todo everything you ask for very easily but its for no use. ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Zmyth

Post by Zmyth » 2004-11-27 14:56

First off I appreciate everybodies resonses. to answer the question:
"How do you plan to stop users from using a plain client from entering?"
You can get scripts that only allow certain versions of DC++, therefore we only allow our version.
I have a feeling that the snitch does not know a whole lot about computers so maybe it will still work. That is if there really is a snitch. I mentioned before that the program my friend is going to write is going to use random DNS hostnames to connect to the hub. That way if the network admins do find out about the a address they will eventually have to find all the addresses to shut us down. Anyways I'm going to have my friend respond to your posts later on to discuss with you guys exactly what we are going to do. If you have any suggestions on other solutions let me know! Thanks!

Zmyth

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-11-27 15:38

You do realise thou that this program your friend is writing can probably easily be reverse engineered or just sniffed to get all adresses entered?

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-11-27 21:53

Unless you feel like encrypting things, a smart person can just run strings on the executable and they will instantly have all the hostnames.