Different connection types

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

Phantom

Different connection types

Post by Phantom » 2003-02-16 20:31

Hey, I've been looking at the code for dc++ for quite a while now, and create mods of my own. I am from New Zealand and over here we have very slow net alternatives, and the majority of users here are on 56k or 128k connections. Would any hub software have issues if the "Connection type" string was changed? I haven't got the time nor source code to go through all the different hub proggys to see how it would effect them all. I know the protocol for DC is the standard "28.8Kbps", "33.6Kbps", "56Kbps", "ISDN",
"Satellite", "Cable", "DSL", "LAN(T1)", "LAN(T3)"
but would like to make DSL and Cable more specific, for NZ users. This would be able to be set in the Fav hubs properties, so that users of such a mod would only set it to these for NZ hubs, and other hubs would still show the standard "DSL"/"Cable" etc..

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Different connection types

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-16 21:36

Phantom wrote:Hey, I've been looking at the code for dc++ for quite a while now, and create mods of my own. I am from New Zealand and over here we have very slow net alternatives, and the majority of users here are on 56k or 128k connections.
As an aside, since I don't have knowledge about the various DC hub software, a nice related issue is that CZDC++ has a modification that shows the user's connection type as an icon... These might be the same (presumably copyrighted) icons from NMDC, but it's worth a note.

Presumably you'd tack on the more specific information onto the end of the connectionSpeeds array, instead of displacing them? It doesn't look like there's a bounds check in the normal DC++ client.

So, why is the nick or the description not a good place to put this info?

Phantom

connection stats

Post by Phantom » 2003-02-16 22:14

Well in NZ, most of the users have dsl limited to 128k. The idea of putting your connection type in your nick would just create clutter as who wants to see a 400 person hub with 250 or so ppl with [Jetstart] (the name of the plan) at the start of the name. I can see why in international hubs this is good, as it allows you to pick out people that are closer to you or with faster connections, but that just wouldn't suit NZ only hubs.

And yes, I would be 'tacking' the information on the end so to speak. I have done a little testing, and I have noticed that Open DC hub does not like the use of "JetStart" as a connection type, but it doesn't have any issues with "JetStream".