Version tag for XML preference file

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

Qbert

Version tag for XML preference file

Post by Qbert » 2004-03-13 03:40

Do you feel that some setting tags should be more categorized under a specific (or range) of DC++ versions? I'm not confident in an answer yet.

For example,

Code: Select all

<MainFrameWidths type="string">#,#,#,#,#,#,#,#</MainFrameWidths>
contradicts in some versions, such as 0.305 and 0.307. (I have not ran 0.306) In transitioning up to a higher version (or the rare chance down,) I think this setting should be the default for that version instead of applying a different version's settings.
My Visual Studio .NET 2003 is licensed under my name, and the same for my operating system... What about you?
I surf on an OC3 without limitations, two to be exact, and I'm not joking.

Twink

Re: Version tag for XML preference file

Post by Twink » 2004-03-13 04:43

Qbert wrote:

<MainFrameWidths type="string">#,#,#,#,#,#,#,#</MainFrameWidths>
really should be defined with unique id's rather then relying on indexes within an array but that would take up more space be more complex to code. What I did do for my mod (PhantomDC) is that when reading the frame widths in, if the number of settings in the file isn't equal to the number of columns then just use the default ones instead, not the best solution but it seemed to work nicely for something or rather.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-03-13 05:53

My thinking is that both DCPlusPlus.xml and Queue.xml should have some version information in the root element.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

FarCry
Programmer

Post by FarCry » 2004-03-13 06:42

The DCPlusPlus.xml has

<ConfigVersion type="string">0.306</ConfigVersion>
which is already used for legacy settings support.

A more structured settings file is desirable, but would need more complete XML support than the current (well, V0.306) SimpleXML parser implementation provides.