$SR to people searching for "folders"

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

ivulfusbar

$SR to people searching for "folders"

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-06-04 14:16

So, here we go again.. As i was supposed to investigate the $Search and $SR as i'm a big fan of improving these i compiled a small dc++ which showed me which $SR i sent back passivly to hubs, and i found something funny.

When someone searches for a type 8 (i.e. folders), my dc++ replied with some strange results. Let me give you an example:

$Search Hub:[isp]nickname F?F?0?8?fear$dot$com$swe$sub|

triggered the following reply;

$SR [BBB]fusbar music 5/5SomeHubName (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)[isp]nickname|
$SR [BBB]fusbar music\CMS 5/5SomeHubName (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)[isp]nickname|
$SR [BBB]fusbar music\SND 5/5SomeHubName (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)[isp]nickname|
$SR [BBB]fusbar music\JUST 5/5SomeHubName (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)[isp]nickname|
$SR [BBB]fusbar music\SQ 5/5SomeHubName (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)[isp]nickname|

As always i threw out in the hub before thinking and Zc asked if i had some matching files in these folders: and yes i had.

But i find this very strange; What is the point of searching for a "folder-type" and get back foldernames which have filenames matching in them. I mean? Its almost like search for "any-file" and only look at the path to the files (only almost as it will probably return fewer folder than search for folders as dc++ does it now give). But as i feel it, a $SR for folders should only report matches in folders and don't care about what the files in the folder is named.

see-what-happens-when-i-get-some-spear-time-ly'ers ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-06-04 14:23

to follow up the previus post, i would say after consulting nmdc-client that this is big bug in dc++
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-06-04 14:48

that i had filenames matching in my first investigation seemed to be a coinsendece as i have now seen strange replies which has nothing todo with the string that client searched for.