Hub-client protocol extension: $xKick

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

ender

Hub-client protocol extension: $xKick

Post by ender » 2003-01-04 09:30

On the old forums, there was a proposal for $SlientKick - kick which wouldn't display the Hub-security message IIRC. I have another proposal - $xKick - extended kick:
$xKick nickname$tempban time$display in chat$reason|

tempban time would tell how long would tempban last, in minutes
display in chat - should the Hub-security message be displayed (T, F - same as $Search parameters)
reason - reason for kick, would be sent by the hub as PM to the kicked before kick

Suggestions welcome.

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 08:20

I like it! Much better than my SilentKick. And hubs can do what they want with the info... good thinking...

ivulfusbar

Re: Hub-client protocol extension: $xKick

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-05 08:32

[quote="ender"]

[i]tempban time[/i] would tell how long would tempban last, in minutes

Suggestions welcome.[/quote]

Not minutes, times should always be transfered as seconds.
The name $xKick is not informative, $SilentKick is a better name.

I would prefer that we added $Ban and held it seperated from Kick exactly as in IRC, but thats another story.

And ofcourse a $Support must have been exchanged in intial handshake
between client/hub.

I hate the fact that client doesn't get $Kick by the way.

i-guess-i-have-implimented-to-many-irc-things-in-my-previous-life-to-appriciate-the-current-implimentation-of-the-client-hub-protocol-ly'ers ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 09:06

ivulfusbar wrote:I hate the fact that client doesn't get $Kick by the way.
... it does! From some hubsofts... I know of one... *s*

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-05 09:13

so nev? you send a $Kick to me? whooo.. start up the server and let me see ,))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-05 09:22

ivulfusbar wrote:Not minutes, times should always be transfered as seconds.
I used minutes for the matter of simplicity - it's much easier to type 5 minute ban than 300 second ban, and IMO, a minute is precise enough - I don't see much reason why'd I want to ban somebody for 3 minutes and 17 seconds :)
Another thing: I have started writing my own hub software (in Delphi, as if we don't have enough Delphi hub projects :mrgreen: ), and I was thinking of implementing the tempban time to reset if the user tries to connect before the time has passed - this way the user can fix his error, and if he's away, he won't get kicked again (and possibly banned for repeated offence) until he does something about it...
ivulfusbar wrote:The name $xKick is not informative, $SilentKick is a better name.
I choose xKick to tell that it's an eXtended Kick command...
ivulfusbar wrote:I would prefer that we added $Ban and held it seperated from Kick exactly as in IRC, but thats another story.
What if we say that negative tempban time would mean perm ban?

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 09:37

I send $Kick| to clients so I can convince arne to make dc++ stop autoconnecting to the hub if it receives that message. Must get more hubsofts to do the same before I make it a real request in dc++. This is done as ASH also hands out a penalty if one hammers on a tempban. Neither nmdc or dc++ is getting confused by getting a $kick| so there are no reason to make this into some extendedprotocol. Just add it to the hubsoft .

I also beleive that minutes are sufficient.

Why would -3 or -33 mean permban? yuk!

.. and there can never be too many delphi projects... *S*

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-01-05 09:40

ender wrote:What if we say that negative tempban time would mean perm ban?
good thinking
but I'd have to go with fusbar on the seconds thing, the client can easily convert minutes to secs if you need that. maybe, for some obscure reason you want 3 mins and 17 seconds someday.. never limit your options.

about the `display in chat' and `reason' though:
why is this better than having the OP's client send this?

/sed
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-05 09:53

Sedulus wrote:about the `display in chat' and `reason' though:
why is this better than having the OP's client send this?
This way, the hub has to process only 1 message. The display in chat would be used for the <Hub-Security> message, not the op's kick message...

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 09:53

I still prefer minutes, remember that people will use this feature. Who kicks and bans in seconds? Hmm. I want this user to be tempbanned for 1 and a half hour. Lets see.... Oh, I kick him for 5400 units... 90 units is easier to work with!

Sedulus: Because we want some control over kicks. And also, many kicks are better left unseen in mainchat. As an example; Each time i kick on bumfights, there are always like three to five d00ds going 'what's bumfights?' I kick because we don't want crap in the hub, but the kick had the opposite effect as these guys start looking for the very same crap we want to save the hub from... People are free to look for what they want, but I don't want my kickmessage to be the very thing that draws their attention to bad material. A silent kick with a message from the hub would be more appropriate. ..Get the idea?

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-05 09:56

minutes _is_ a bad idea.. has to be seconds.

Its up to the gui in a client to change 1:10:20 into seconds. Seconds will always be the way time should be transfared.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-01-05 10:00

> Get the idea?
got it :)

> has to be seconds.
2 on 2 now...
time for a poll? :D
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

FRANKE

Post by FRANKE » 2003-01-05 10:23

ivulfusbar wrote:minutes _is_ a bad idea.. has to be seconds.

Its up to the gui in a client to change 1:10:20 into seconds. Seconds will always be the way time should be transfared.
Why ?, i dont see any problems with either minutes or seconds.
For the newest release of MulTiBoT visit www.cwain.dk

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-05 10:41

Time is almost in every OS, language implimented as seconds, thats why it is the natural implimentation.

Nev
Programmer

Post by Nev » 2003-01-05 11:21

Well, I suppose the client can ask for minutes and calculate seconds... whaever, just make fussie stop! *s*

aDe
Forum Moderator

Post by aDe » 2003-01-15 13:38

hehe looks like we locked up on a rather unimportant question.. just for the record.. i do think that minutes is the right currency :)

But it does not really matter.

The only thing that bugs me is that the x is lowercase, struggling against all the other commands in the protocol that are always $<uppercase><lowercase>

but again.. totally unimportant.. let's focus on getting this in motion instead!

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-15 16:26

Ok, how about this:
$xKick nick list$ban time$show in chat$reason|

nick list: nicknames, separated by space
ban time: ban time (positive values: ban time in seconds, 0: just disconnect, negative values: permban)
show in chat: T = show kick in the main chat; F = don't show it
reason: kick reason (always sent to the victim before the kick)

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-01-16 04:41

why bother? make a hub script that does it instead...and then add it as a user command...