No autoreconnect on kick

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

[ASH]Nev

No autoreconnect on kick

Post by [ASH]Nev » 2003-04-24 01:09

This is a somewhat old topic that I would like to shine some light on.

One excellent feature in dc++ is the autoreconnect feature making dc++ very reliable when a hub is restarted or you loose your socket or whatever.

The same feature is also OPs worst nightmare. As you can tell by the title the reconnect becomes bothersome when kicked users reconnect. The user himself might be a stand up guy. The only problem is that he is not at home. I have spent hours kicking the same dude over and over again and once I get in touch with the guy he soberly apologize for the offending material, removes it, and problem is solved.

Why this have not been handled I can only guess. As NMDCHUB doesn't flag in any way that the client was not only disconnected but kicked, the client would have to depend on string pattern matching in order to realize that its been kicked. With so many hubsofts I'm glad that this was not done as then we would be stuck with a fixed kickmessage.

However, the solution is very straight forward.

I have done some testing in ASH, and neither nmdc nor dc++ gets confused if it receives a '$Kick <nick>|' just before the disconnect. If we all hubsoft developers started doing just that, dc++ could turn off autoreconnect until the user manually connects to the hub.

I used the '$Kick <nick>|' for simplicity. I can reuse the incomming kick message sent by the OP.

However, there is no use in having hubs do this if no clients support it. I was hoping that the next version of dc++ could react on incomming $Kick <nick>| from the hub and turn off reconnect.

What do you all say?

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-04-24 03:19

blah...dc++ doesn't (shouldn't...I don't think I ever actually tested it...=) reconnect if it receives the word "banned" in a chat message when logging in (before...$hello I think...)...which typically happens when you're kicked...

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-04-24 03:56

chat message? as in both $To and <> ?
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-04-24 04:37

after reading the source and playinge some, hmm.. well this work as it should with nmdc-hub atleast...
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.