Version issues... (mainly for developers)

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

CarXor

Version issues... (mainly for developers)

Post by CarXor » 2003-04-12 16:11

Hi people, there are some issues I would like to discuss with you:

It's about the dc++ version string, is there any logic in the version string other than incrementing it whenever it's published?

Most of us (in other software) use versions below 1 (0.x) to indicate that this is still a not-ready-to-be-released or a alpha build (which is mostly the same).

Isn't dc++, a application used by the majority of dc users, a full grown application deserving the n.x naming? If not, when it will be ready for that, since it will not stop evolving.

Even if we stick with the 0.x for a long time, I would suggest a version convension used by most linux software which is to make the last digit of the version string odd or even depending if it is a devel release for testing or a tested and stable release for users.
( like this:
even : 0.242 - Stable to be released
odd : 0.243 - Devel build - warn users that this may crash or may have unexpected behavior.)

I think it is a good idea: some feature gets implemented, release it under odd version for users to try it out.
After correcting most (if not all) of the bugs with that feature, the even version would be release.

Since most of the unexperienced users will (presumably) download the stable version, they will have less problems that they don't understand without the need to recurring to a previous version.

Well, anyway it's just an idea... I wouldn't lose my sleep over this :)

Dj_Offset

Post by Dj_Offset » 2003-04-12 17:56

My experience is that unexperienced users choose the version with the highest number.
I wrote QuickDC - A DC++ compatible client for Linux and FreeBSD.