how to bring dc++ to another level!

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

lokomotiv

how to bring dc++ to another level!

Post by lokomotiv » 2003-04-06 06:22

hmms just created this account, so not sure how active the developers are on this forum. However I have been pondering one thing that could make dc++ even more versatile.

Why not remake dc++ to support a client/server type.
Aka for the average normal user with only one machine you put download the "server" version of dc++ install it and use as any other normal dc++ user :).

But! now when local lans are growing, I mean most people own more then one computer and I for ones got my dc++ on my server so that I can stay connected all day all night. At the moment I use very slow remote administration programs to controle it, like vnc and the like.
What would this client/server thing do for the avarge citizen then?

Well being the average computer user I got my 2 servers and 2 work machines. With this new idea I would install dc++ server to my server then install dc++ client to my client/work machines. For me I could use the dc++ server to download as usual. But the great thing would be that instead of having to goto my server I Could use my dc++ client to connect to dc++ server and remote administrate it from here, in a sense the dc++ client would be a remote controle, it would get info about what goes on on the dc++ server side but wouldn't do any real work, all the downloading uploading would still be on the server side.

Ehrm I am tad confused about this and came up with the idea yesterday during a party so having a huge hangover atm, but felt I had to write it down before it goes into the great BLUR!

eitherway tell me what you think and feel free to ask I know this is a realy messy post
with regards

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-04-06 06:52

I find remote control programs quite usable (I prefer Remote Desktop Connection or Terminal Services which are quite fast and fancy).

The idea you have presented is reputedly already implemented in some of the Linux client (server running as daemon and control console connecting to it through socket connection).

Personally I don't find too much sense in duplicating what remote desktop application already do. I think it would be more handy to have server running as NT service so it can handle several simultaneous user sessions and allow downloading and uploading without having to be logged in. On the other hand I'm quite happy with Windows XP Fast Switch which allows you to sign off without having to quit your applications.

Well, you could control several servers with just one console, but IMHO there are just fraction of users who need this.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

lokomotiv

Post by lokomotiv » 2003-04-06 10:46

the problem with remote windows is that they are very drainy processor vice and network vice.

But after some thinking I actually think a web administration tool would be better, you get less security issues then and you can use it from wherever you are.
and it wouldn't need any client's

By the way I agree about that bombing for...