Testing during development

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

Tilt

Testing during development

Post by Tilt » 2005-10-14 19:02

I was wondering how to test modifications to dc++.

Naturally, I would assume setting up your own hub would give you the
best debugging facilities, but other than that.

Is there any checksumming or similar done by live hubs to avoid fakers, that might
get me banned if I run with a modified client?

Are there any development hubs up and running where you can test the client
without banning and other problems?

If settings up your own local hub is the optimal way, which hub has the least installation hassle? I am really not interested in any sendmail-like configuration sessions.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Testing during development

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-10-14 19:18

Tilt wrote:I was wondering how to test modifications to dc++.
Common sense? It's your code, figure out how to break it. Or better yet, code it so that it can't break. :)
Tilt wrote:Naturally, I would assume setting up your own hub would give you the
best debugging facilities, but other than that.
Well, it gives you a controlled situation where you can join two clients to a hub under your control and see all of the traffic involved...
Tilt wrote:Is there any checksumming or similar done by live hubs to avoid fakers, that might get me banned if I run with a modified client?
No. And yes.
Tilt wrote:Are there any development hubs up and running where you can test the client without banning and other problems?
There are many hubs that you can run on. And if your client is likely to spam or behave badly, it's best not to use anyone's hub but your own.

But yes, if you've looked on the public hub list, you've seen the DCDev public hub. It's meant for discussion, primarily.
Tilt wrote:If settings up your own local hub is the optimal way, which hub has the least installation hassle? I am really not interested in any sendmail-like configuration sessions.
Least installation hassle that would be YnHub or PtokaX. They're all win32, so there's nothing sendmail like about them.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-10-16 12:51

GargoyleMT wrote:No. And yes.
*lol*, that's actually a very good answer ;-)
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-10-17 09:19

Guitarm wrote:*lol*, that's actually a very good answer ;-)
Well, there isn't any checksumming, and yes, you can get banned for running a modified client, depending on what hub you're in and how they police their users. (Heck, you can get banned for running the CVS version of DC++ -- since it calls itself 0.6745 and that makes some people think it is fake.)

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-10-17 09:24

GargoyleMT wrote:(Heck, you can get banned for running the CVS version of DC++ -- since it calls itself 0.6745 and that makes some people think it is fake.)
Yupp, quite true, I've experienced that myself
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

sandos

Post by sandos » 2005-10-17 13:38

Tilt wrote:Are there any development hubs up and running where you can test the client
without banning and other problems?
I have successfully used the DC Dev Public for testing stuff, although if you're a regular user in there you won't be able to download which certainly degrades the usability. On the other hand, getting registered is not that hard if you stay around while being active/developing stuff.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2005-10-17 15:57

Hell, I even managed to do it. ;)

Tilt

Post by Tilt » 2005-10-18 06:36

Thanks for the tips. I have been planning to become somewhat active.
There is some things in how downloads are managed, from a MMI perspective,
that I think could be improved. However, the road is to hell is paved with good
intentions. But.. if I am lucky, I will actually be able to wrestle up enough time
to do something useful.

I think I will go with the local hub to start with, that way I won't mess things up.
Given that it is mostly UI stuff I am interested in at the moment, and I wont
be playing around with the protocol it should not be likely that I would spam any hub.
Still, I have made a mess before and I will again.