dc++ "proxy"/"gateway"

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

atlantis

dc++ "proxy"/"gateway"

Post by atlantis » 2004-09-02 13:27

Hello!

I have an ideea of a possible extension to the dc++.

First of all my problem: I'm behind a NAT or a SOCKS or other "proxying" software so I'm passiv and I can't get anything from another passiv user. OR my ISP charge me for the Internet traffic but not for metropolitan traffic so I'm interested in using a proxy on the metropolitan BUT still be activ not pasive...

So, my ideea is to do something like the NAT does to the TCP/IP packets.: you put a "gateway" for DC++ clients on the border of your local network or in the metropolitan area of the network where DC++ clients can be active and the "gateway" can also be active with the rest of the DC++ hubs / clients from the rest of the world and everyone is happy.

I know (I'm a programmer) that this is possible to be done with little-to-none effort but I don't know :
1) if somethin' simmilar was done or is in progress
2) if this is a viable ideea.

So please give me your feedback on this ideea.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,
Atlantis

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-03 20:12

Is the situation where someone has complete control over a machine outside the firewall but not control over the firewall itself that common?

I suspect the forwarding isn't as trivial as you think it is. If you want to try to solve the problem by writing code, look at zebedee. If you want to solve it by adapting other utilities, perhaps one of the socksification programs will help.

atlantis

Post by atlantis » 2004-09-04 08:32

No... socksify makes you passiv, and almost all methods of "forwarding" or tunneling traffic makes you passiv.

What I'm trying to find out is that is anybody besides me interested in developing/deploying a "software gateway" to dc++ which allows you to remain active although you are behind a firewalll.

And this is not that hard to implement: only a few small extensions to the dc++ protocol (which already is a modified direct connect protocol) and the gateway is a simple combination of 2 lightweight dch and a dc client. that's all...

Yours faithfully,
Miau

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-09-06 16:45

GargoyleMT wrote:look at zebedee.
Ditto.
atlantis wrote:And this is not that hard to implement: only a few small extensions to the dc++ protocol (which already is a modified direct connect protocol) and the gateway is a simple combination of 2 lightweight dch and a dc client. that's all...
(1) "Not that hard to implement": then do it yourself. You're a programmer. (It's incredibly grating to see that in a request for assistance. Quite so very transparently, blindingly obviously, for you it's at least somewhat hard to implement.)
(2) I find your description of the 'gateway' odd. What of the existing DC protocol would said gateway find reusable?

atlantis

Post by atlantis » 2004-09-07 00:07

It seems that I've been seriously misunderstood: I'm willing and I'm going to develop this "gateway" (find a proper name if this quotation does not suite you...) because for me and a lot of other people from around is the only solution to provide an active connection to an entire lan (which ofcourse is NATed or MASQ.ed)...

And it was not like a "cry for help", but I wanted to know if this is a general usefull project or just a local issue AND if somebody else has done something simillar.

And also, zebedee is NOT the solution for this problem as we own the firewall/gateway and don't have to tunnel the traffic through it (it it would be f***ing expensive in means of resources to tunnel 500+ clients through-and-to the gateway/firewall).

Anyway thank you for your time and attitude...

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-09-07 13:12

we own the firewall/gateway and don't have to tunnel the traffic through it (it it would be f***ing expensive in means of resources to tunnel 500+ clients through-and-to the gateway/firewall).
Why not simply port forward?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-09 23:00

If you need it to happen automatically, the UPnP patch in DC++'s CVS version might be of interest to you.