why new filelists are sent in xml format?

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

Murdock

why new filelists are sent in xml format?

Post by Murdock » 2004-08-04 07:36

could someone please explain why the new dc++ clients send filelists in xml format?
I am guessing 99% of users don't really care about the format of the filelists and they only download them once to just view them (in dc++.) I very much doubt they are going to look at the lists later on (esp. from outside dc.) The redundant increase in the size of filelists (files.xml.bz2 could be more than 5 times larger than MyList.bz2) just wastes upload and download bandwidth of users and hubs (especially those hubs that have bots downloading filelist of every user that enters the hub everytime.)

-Thanks

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-08-04 12:25

The format doesn't matter much but XML is nice enough. The content of the file is the interesting part. The point is that later versions of DC++ contain TTHroots as extra information. The increas in size is mostly due to this fact.

You might also want to read the thread above which is partly connected to your question.
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9546

you-waste-less-in-the-long-run-by-downloading-correct-roots-than-guessing-from-names-ly'ers.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: why new filelists are sent in xml format?

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-08-04 15:29

Murdock wrote:The redundant increase in the size
Can you please explain what parts of XML file lists are redundant compared to the older file lists?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-08-04 17:02

Murdock

Post by Murdock » 2004-08-04 18:02

you are right. most of the size increase is due to the TTH fields not the tags (I totally forgot about the extra information the new format carries; i.e. TTH fields)
I removed all the tags from a filelist and recompressed it. Its size actually became larger... very interesting :)

icey

Post by icey » 2004-08-16 02:23

I know i am only new but just wanted to ask something on this subject , Since the file output is in xml format this would be able to be used as an rss feed would it not. What i mean , is ie you have a private hub for your site you have a loop run say every 30 mins to grab everybodys file list and from those lists because they are xml you could make a rss feed out of them for a page listing all the files the are currently available for download.

I know this may sound strange or this may have already been covered and i will get told off about something that is already being dicussed somewhere else.

I am not asking how to do it i already know how to do it i was just curious as to if the fileout had this intention sort of built into it.

Icey

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-16 11:09

icey wrote:I know this may sound strange or this may have already been covered and i will get told off about something that is already being dicussed somewhere else.
Interesting defensiveness. I guess I am an ogre after all.
icey wrote:I am not asking how to do it i already know how to do it i was just curious as to if the fileout had this intention sort of built into it.
No, XML was chosen because DC++ already uses it quite a bit, and it's inherently extensible.

What you describe sounds possible. It also seems possible to have done with .dclst or .bz2 list files if you care deeply enough.

icey

Post by icey » 2004-08-16 19:14

thanks for clearing that up , Yup i know it already uses xml quite abit , I was just curious as to why it was chosen , But you have cleared that query up , Thankyou.

Icey