Give packages thats less then 64byte higher priority.

Technical discussion about the NMDC and <a href="http://dcpp.net/ADC.html">ADC</A> protocol. The NMDC protocol is documented in the <a href="http://dcpp.net/wiki/">Wiki</a>, so feel free to refer to it.

Moderator: Moderators

Bjorne

Give packages thats less then 64byte higher priority.

Post by Bjorne » 2004-07-19 09:20

Hi guys!

I was thinking about the hole problem where the upload-speed slows down the upload and vice vera. So I gooled a bit and asked around on forum's, I found out that it was becuase of the ACK-packages was que'ed, and the best solution was to give packages thats less then 64byte higher priority. And I guess this is the place to ask, if it's possible to give the acknowledgement packages (or packgades less then 64byte) higher priority within Direct Connect? Many of it's users have DSL and similar connections where the bandwidth isn't split equally, so it's a pretty large problem. Sure it might also be becuase of the non full duplex, but the queing of the ack-packages have to do very much to.

Sorry for the formulation and spelling :oops:

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-07-19 11:14

I don't think DC++ should be mucking around in the TCP/IP stack. It's much lower level than it should have to deal with.

Bjorne

Post by Bjorne » 2004-07-19 12:11

So it's not possible to just change it within dc?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-07-19 13:08

Bjorne wrote:So it's not possible to just change it within dc?
In short, no.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Bjorne

Post by Bjorne » 2004-07-19 16:15

TheParanoidOne wrote:
Bjorne wrote:So it's not possible to just change it within dc?
In short, no.
Non short version? :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-19 19:45

Bjorne wrote:Non short version? :)
Patches are welcome.

There's an RFE in the old tracker for using the QoS flags for some packets, which is also low level, and my have success as well.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-07-20 07:35

Bjorne wrote:Non short version? :)
As far as I'm concerned, that would be an expansion of what PseudonympH said. But that's just my opinion (and apparently his as well). Others may have different thoughts.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

sandos

Re: Give packages thats less then 64byte higher priority.

Post by sandos » 2004-08-01 09:40

Bjorne wrote:Hi guys!

I was thinking about the hole problem where the upload-speed slows down the upload and vice vera. So I gooled a bit and asked around on forum's, I found out that it was becuase of the ACK-packages was que'ed, and the best solution was to give packages thats less then 64byte higher priority. And I guess this is the place to ask, if it's possible to give the acknowledgement packages (or packgades less then 64byte) higher priority within Direct Connect? Many of it's users have DSL and similar connections where the bandwidth isn't split equally, so it's a pretty large problem. Sure it might also be becuase of the non full duplex, but the queing of the ack-packages have to do very much to.

Sorry for the formulation and spelling :oops:
This is afaik not possible to do in any portable way, and doing it requires very low-level stuff as already said. The best bet is actually to run WonderShaper or something like that on a linux router instead.