I wish...I wish...

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Hoosierdaddy

I wish...I wish...

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-01 20:42

...I wish DC++ would allow you to run multiple instances of the program. I would like to run one instance to connect to my comic hubs and one to connect to my jazz hubs and one to connect to my "other" music hubs. And I would like to be able to run all pf them at the SAME TIME. Why? Because my shares are VERY different, depending on the particular hub(s) I am connecting to. So I really would like to be able to run them all at once.

I can do this with MIRC by using a simple workaround. I do multiple installs as MIRC1...MIRC2...MIRC3 and so on. But that doesn't work with DC++. You simply cannot run more than one instance.

So...that's my request.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-01 21:13

You can run a DC++ mod with the multiple-instance code removed instead...

Or, the other solution that's been suggested on the forum is to Shift-right click and run the second instance of normal DC++ (in a different directory) as a different user.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-02 11:53

GargoyleMT wrote:You can run a DC++ mod with the multiple-instance code removed instead...
And how would one (who isn't a programmer mind you) perform such a 'mod'?
GargoyleMT wrote:Or, the other solution that's been suggested on the forum is to Shift-right click and run the second instance of normal DC++ (in a different directory) as a different user.
Hmmm. Well...seeing as how I set Win XP up on this machine a single user box, I doubt I'll be restarting Windows as a different user just so I can run another instance of DC++.

Sorry. I though this forum was for suggesting new features, not supplying us with "workarounds".

So, I gather from your response that this functionality will NOT be incorporated into a future release of DC++...correct?

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2004-05-02 12:01

Hoosierdaddy wrote:
GargoyleMT wrote: You can run a DC++ mod with the multiple-instance code removed instead...
And how would one (who isn't a programmer mind you) perform such a 'mod'?
You don't have to, it exists already not sure which though.
Hoosierdaddy wrote:
GargoyleMT wrote:Or, the other solution that's been suggested on the forum is to Shift-right click and run the second instance of normal DC++ (in a different directory) as a different user.
Hmmm. Well...seeing as how I set Win XP up on this machine a single user box, I doubt I'll be restarting Windows as a different user just so I can run another instance of DC++.
You won't have to restart the computer, just right click the dcplusplus.exe ( or an shortcut to it ) as GMT said and in the menu choose "Run As" you're the allowed to choose to run the program as another user but still being logged in with your current account. got it?
Hoosierdaddy wrote: So, I gather from your response that this functionality will NOT be incorporated into a future release of DC++...correct?
Correct.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-02 12:26

Hoosierdaddy wrote:So, I gather from your response that this functionality will NOT be incorporated into a future release of DC++...correct?
Yes.

The "Run as..." method is also available in Windows 2000, I believe you have to use a modifier key when pulling up the menu (Control or Alt or Shift) to see that option.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-02 13:57

joakim_tosteberg wrote:You don't have to, it exists already not sure which though.
Anyone else have any idea which mod this is he is referring to? Or can anyone instruct me on which files to modify and how? I'd much rather do that than create three separate accounts on my Win XP machine.
joakim_tosteberg wrote:You won't have to restart the computer, just right click the dcplusplus.exe ( or an shortcut to it ) as GMT said and in the menu choose "Run As" you're the allowed to choose to run the program as another user but still being logged in with your current account. got it?
Yes. I've "got it". But it still means I have to create other user accounts in XP just for that purpose...right?

Also, I'm curious. Why wouldn't you consider writing that into future versions of DC++? Since a 'mod' has been made which alters the program to allow that, I would assume it is a relatively simple thing to do. So why not build it in as a "switchable" feature which we could enable or disable at will? Concerned that it might make the program unstable?

[Edit: Changed to quotes for better readbility //joakim]

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2004-05-02 15:12

Hoosierdaddy wrote:Yes. I've "got it". But it still means I have to create other user accounts in XP just for that purpose...right?
Yes.
Hoosierdaddy wrote:Also, I'm curious. Why wouldn't you consider writing that into future versions of DC++? Since a 'mod' has been made which alters the program to allow that, I would assume it is a relatively simple thing to do. So why not build it in as a "switchable" feature which we could enable or disable at will? Concerned that it might make the program unstable?
No, if you run more than one instance of the program then hub:slot-ratio enforcement goes out the window. Meaning, you're spreading your upload speed out across more upload slots than your tag indicates.

Mod that will aleviate the burden of creating another user account: BCDC++

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-02 16:12

Xan1977 wrote:No, if you run more than one instance of the program then hub:slot-ratio enforcement goes out the window. Meaning, you're spreading your upload speed out across more upload slots than your tag indicates.
Ahhh. Now I see why I am getting such a negative reaction! Slot "cheating" is a obviously a HUGE no-no in the DC community. I can clearly understand why you guys don't want to give DC++ a bad name.

It just goes to show you how people's minds work too. LOL! I had no intention of using it to cheat, only to be able to make different shares available to different hubs. Oh well. *shrug*

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-04 19:16

Also, running two versions of DC++ from the same directory can wreak havoc with your HashData.dat and HashIndex.xml files... (as well as your queue, favorites, and settings).

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-04 22:20

GargoyleMT wrote:Also, running two versions of DC++ from the same directory can wreak havoc with your HashData.dat and HashIndex.xml files... (as well as your queue, favorites, and settings).
No dude. Not from the same DIRECTORY. Where did I ever say THAT?

No. Just two instances of it. They can be installed to different directories. I could care less about that.

Anyway, it's irrelevant now. I switched to BCDC++. Works flawlessly. Does exactly what I wanted to do. I now have three different configurations of BCDC++ running on my machine, all with different shares. Thanks to Xan1977 for pointing me to it!

Acidboy

What i do

Post by Acidboy » 2004-05-09 16:19

Just run different versions of DC and connect with different hubs at the same time with the same nick, as simple as that.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-09 16:40

Nahhh. BCDC++ works great for my needs. And it has some other cool features as well. But thanks.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-16 15:28

Hoosierdaddy wrote:No dude. Not from the same DIRECTORY. Where did I ever say THAT?
Er. If you remove the multi-instance code, you'll have a pretty large problem when users run two copies from the same directory. That's a con that should be well known to doing this. And if you want to somehow protect against two instances from the same directory, well, that should also be known.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » 2004-05-16 16:03

GargoyleMT wrote:Er. If you remove the multi-instance code, you'll have a pretty large problem when users run two copies from the same directory. That's a con that should be well known to doing this. And if you want to somehow protect against two instances from the same directory, well, that should also be known.
*Sigh.*

For the last time. I am NOT running two copies from the same directory. I never SAID I wanted to run two copies from the same directory. Please stop thinking I want to run two copies from the same directory. Because I do NOT want to run two copies from the same directory. Also, I have NOT altered the "multi-instance code" nor any of the rest of the code in any way. I am running the program 'as is' and it works GREAT!

I have multiple copies installed to DIFFERENT directories that connect to DIFFERENT hubs and have DIFFERENT shares that I run depending on which type of hubs I want to connect to.

And...as I said...BCDC++ is working GREAT for me. Thanks.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-16 16:08

Hoosierdaddy wrote:For the last time. I am NOT running
It's not about you. I'm sorry that you're miscomprehending this.