Source prioritization for downloads

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

l33t_one

Source prioritization for downloads

Post by l33t_one » 2004-05-01 17:32

The "Automatically dropping slow users" post had a similar idea, but I still felt I should post this.

Situation as it is now: Downloading files A, B and C - each has the same 3 sources, Bob, Dick and Jane. Bob and Dick supply 3Kbps (I.E. small) bandwidth. Jane supplies 300Kbps (I.E. large) bandwidth. File C has Jane as it's active source. File C finishes in a few hours and the connection goes idle, then closes after timeout. Files A and B take several days to finish.

What I'm hoping for: File C finishes in a few hours, goes idle. DC++ sees that it has incomplete downloads (files A and B) that although they are actively downloading, there is an idle connection that is a source for those files that can be used (and is known to be a higher bandwidth source). DC++ closes either file A or B's connection at the low bandwidth and switches the active source to Jane, the 300Kbps bandwidth source.

The usefulness of this feature would be, for me, immeasurable. Unfortunately I can't code and therefore cannot yet do it myself, so hopefully someone who reads this will.

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2004-05-01 19:51

Sounds like an extension to the "Automatically dropping slow users" and makes sense to me. Sure would be handy.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-05-02 00:33

Stuff like this is why multisource would be a good thing. It's not so much about having great speeds, but about not having crappy ones.

aether

Post by aether » 2004-07-24 21:56

I also believe this would be a great feature. I would like to add to it or take it a step further. Say you are downloading a file with 100 sources. It would be nice if DC++ would scan the 100 sources or any new source that pops online for the fastest connection with an available slot and switch to it.

Don't get me wrong DC++ is the best I've used out there, I just believe this would be an invaluable addition.

Many thanks!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-25 09:03

aether wrote:scan the 100 sources or any new source that pops online for the fastest connection with an available slot and switch to it.
Scanning other sources for speed would involve downloading portions of the file. If you're doing that, you should save those portions not to be wasteful. At that point, you've already designed multi-source downloading.

I'm not going to look into this at all, and hope that it's determined that multisource downloading will go in DC++.

These source micro-management features will all go away when you can download from more than one person.

:)