Some ideas for next dc++ ver if possible

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

themaestro

Some ideas for next dc++ ver if possible

Post by themaestro » 2004-04-28 16:52

Hi some ideas for next dc++ ver if possible .

This will make the program more friendly to all , and especially to new users that using dc++ first time .

you can see details and picture here :
http://planet.nana.co.il/sababalite/dcpp/dc.htm

I hope some will be in the next ver :D

thanks

Wisp

Re: Some ideas for next dc++ ver if possible

Post by Wisp » 2004-04-28 17:05

feature 1 --> already requested
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9612

feature 2 --> in developement (the xml hublist)

feature 3 --> rejected feature.. there are hundreds of topics about it.. use netlimiter if you want to limit your speed

feature 5--> as far as i know dc++ switched automatically to the next hublist when there is a failure

feature 6--> dc++ automatically uses the file association you set up in windows, i don't know why dc++ should have a different setting

feature 7--> in case of searching for alternatives by TTH you're right

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2004-04-28 17:07

Might be an idea for you to have read through the tracker on Feature Requests and Rejected Features first. :roll:
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

themaestro

OK I read it

Post by themaestro » 2004-04-28 17:54

"Might be an idea for you to have read through the tracker on Feature Requests and Rejected Features first "

OK I read it ,

and i think no. : 1,2,4,5,7,8 need to be in the original client .
if something Rejected in the past maybe now you can Change your mind why not .

dpm

Post by dpm » 2004-04-29 03:21

Bandwidth limiting can be abused greatly. There is no way I would ever support this feature, especially if implemented by the client that most people use on my hub.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-29 21:11

Please just post your suggestions in the thread - your site will probably die before the DC++ forum does.
1. search window
file with the same tth will be show as one file and count all the users .
For files with identical TTH roots, this is planned.
2. public hub window ( more details)
can add some hub together to favorites hub ( and not one each time )
I don't understand. There is an existing request to put the favorite hub and public hub features into one window.
3. bandwidth limit
The sticky at the top of the forum tells you to check the official trackers and the rejected feature tracker. Had you done so, you'd have seen that this is a rejected feature.

There are plenty of DC++ mods with my upload limiting code in them - use one of them instead.
4. public hublist
take all the list and make one big list
Here you can tell DCpro to download a public hublist at startup. In the picture above you see the default hublist that are in DCpro settings. Here you can add your own url's to download other hublist's, since there is more the one hublist in circulation.
It's been requested before. This isn't something I'm comfortable with - hublists can easily be taken down because of the bandwidth it takes to serve them. Adding a feature that would hit more hublists could have a bad effect upon them and cause some to die.

Also, how many hubs are unique per hublist? It seems that most hubs are on most, so the gain wouldn't seem to be that great.
5. if I can’t connect to hub , after some attempts the hub will close automatically.
No - users shouldn't be joining that many hubs that they can't manually manage them.
6. some tools to run from the program
You'll have to be more specific with this one.
7. search for alternative ---- > replace to “ find more sources "
Strictly a change in verbage? Sure, that can be done.
8. very easy to find the window I want .
You'll need to be more specific.

Stmated

Post by Stmated » 2004-05-30 18:46

hehe, this is just so small it's pathetic :) but somehow I just got hung up on the sentence "Why not to make it standard GUI for the original client ?" dcp is not originated from dc++, It's written in delphi. And if you were to really add it to the original client then you should go to the NMDC feature tracker :P

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-05-31 06:55

GargoyleMT wrote:
7. search for alternative ---- > replace to “ find more sources "
Strictly a change in verbage? Sure, that can be done.
wouldn't that just require a custom language xml file? or am i missing somehting?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-31 11:25

Twink wrote:wouldn't that just require a custom language xml file? or am i missing somehting?
True, on second thought, the only search option that deserves to be called "find more sources" in search by TTH, since the search results are guaranteed to be compatible. Not so with search for alternates.

So yes, if the original poster wants that change, he can edit Example.xml then specify it as a language file in DC++'s Settings.