Suggestion: Confirm when deleting the whole download queue

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Ancestral-Knowledge

Suggestion: Confirm when deleting the whole download queue

Post by Ancestral-Knowledge » 2004-04-26 16:26

Okay this is my first post so i hope i won't go on your nerves too much ... The thing i just want to say is that a nice little feature could make the life of every DC++ user much easier:

In my opinion it would be superb if there was a confirm when you attempt to clear/delete the whole download queue.

I'm an op in a Dc hub and several times i saw people who accidently deleted their whole download queue. Well everybody was laughin' ( me too ) until it happened to me too one day. I had like like 8 Gigabyte of Stuff queued when i suddenly not noticed that i got on my major folder where everything what i download comes in and deleted it. This was a complete disaster: i had to get lists again, remember from who i was downloading etc... all in all a painful procedure. Then i asked in my hub and in several other ones if this happened to other users too.. and i was surprised cause it happened to even nearly every user even to very experienced users... That's because the download queue is one of the most used features in dc and there is much clicking in it: removing double files, removing files from users that disappeared, removing audio and video that is offered in better quality in another hub, searchin' for alternates etc. A complete whipeout would be prevented if there was a neat small confirm when trying to delete the queue like:
"Do you really want to delete your download queue?" Many dc++ users would be very satisfied with that feature and these accident whipeouts would be prevented.
THX!!! for all so far and bye!

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-04-26 17:20

personally I tihink some form of backup system would make more sense, it would allow you to recover from a greater range of problems.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-26 20:34

A request for a similar feature (asking for confirmation on removing files from the queue):
[ 674955 ] don't delete files without confirmation dialog

Ancestral-Knowledge

Post by Ancestral-Knowledge » 2004-04-27 03:21

A request for a similar feature (asking for confirmation on removing files from the queue):
[ 674955 ] don't delete files without confirmation dialog
Yeah, i read this one too but a confirmation on deleting files in the queue is absolutely the wrong way. If i had to confirm for every single mp3 or a bunch of some i marked this would turn me mad... i think 80% of users would disable it then cause it would simply stress your nerves. Like I said there should be only a confirmation if i delete the whole queue and not parts of it. Sorry for making myself not clear.
THX!! for replies!
A backup is of course senseful too; after my queue got deleted by me i always make one. But many useres don't do it cause they don't care like me especially when they're new. A confirmation wouldn't solve of course a queue whipeout due to a crash but i thought that it would be maybe not so difficult to implement in the code but the effect would be very powerful.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-27 19:01

Joakim made a comment to the thread: there'd be one dialog per delete action - not per file. And, plus, the dialog could be coded like those in SmartFTP - with a checkbox "never ask again." Then if users disabled that, then deleted their queue, at least they were warned.

dpm

I wouldn't use it though...

Post by dpm » 2004-04-27 20:15

GargoyleMT wrote:Joakim made a comment to the thread: there'd be one dialog per delete action - not per file. And, plus, the dialog could be coded like those in SmartFTP - with a checkbox "never ask again." Then if users disabled that, then deleted their queue, at least they were warned.
As long as there is an "un-never ask again"

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-27 20:43

SmartFTP does have a segment of its settings devoted to configuring the state of various similar dialog boxes, so if I coded it, naturally I'd take that route as well.