permantly remove someone from uploading!!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

vanilla_kisses

permantly remove someone from uploading!!

Post by vanilla_kisses » 2003-02-16 23:37

there needs to be a way to permanently remove someone from getting your files... a permanent "remove from queue"... or some way to BLOCK them from accessing your list/files

for when someone tries to harrass you...

like i'm dealing with... right now :x
~vk~

Phantom

perm block

Post by Phantom » 2003-02-16 23:40

Short answer: No

unless you want to modify the source, or maybe there is a client out there that might allow this, but personally I don't like the idea.

vanilla_kisses

Post by vanilla_kisses » 2003-02-16 23:49

i don't personally like it either...

and i would never do it... except for the reason i have now... being harrassed by a certain individual...

the ops won't do Anything...

what other choices have i got tho, besides leaving the hub permanently myself...
~vk~

Phantom

blocking

Post by Phantom » 2003-02-17 00:51

Well do you know how to modify the code? Do you use the favourite users? If not you could write the code to ignore people in the fav user list.
If you don't know how to code it maybe you could ask someone really nicely, and they could do it for you, but you will have to say what version of dc++ you use

synapz

Post by synapz » 2003-02-17 00:56

I think it's better to make the ops kick/ban that user or leave the hub yourself.

If I find anybody some day with a client which has some sort of uploading block in it will will ban that user...think...everybody blocking each other...tha would make DC great (NOT)
Just another silly hub owner ;-)

Phantom

blocking

Post by Phantom » 2003-02-17 03:20

I totally agree with you. Blocking clients shouldn't be around, but unfortunately they are. I was considering making a controlled blocking type feature as most users that have such a blocking client atm are using it because of non-sharers and low sharers. Speaking from the NZ perspective, the main NZ hub is run by an ISP and therefore has no share limit. I was thinking that maybe a client that can block users with less than: 5gb max setting, or 1gb (rounded down) below your current share amount.
This way at least the abuse of blocking clients may be reduced in NZ.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-17 08:10

This is an incredibly non-thought through feature request. In fact, it has the honor of being one of the five rejected feature requests.

If the ops of the hub aren't doing something about someone harassing you, it's time to find another hub. If they go after a specific file or directory just unshare that. Otherwise, just retaliate in kind and queue their whole download share. :twisted:

I would hope that no programmer would modify the code in this fashion, this is a problem best solved by the hub ops.

Neg

Post by Neg » 2003-02-17 16:33

vanilla_kisses: easy sulution change nick or disconnect from hub?

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-20 04:58

well I find that some users irrespossibly use dc, but I agree that such a feature should not be add.

If you have problems with some assholes like I do ban them with your firewall.

6000 tcp port probes isn't cool.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"