Queue: "Crop Source"

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Timzone8

Queue: "Crop Source"

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-10 09:41

Could a "Crop Source" feature be added in the Context Menu when you click an item in the Download Queue window?
It would make clearing up all those sources without slots open much easier, eg: hover "crop source" then select a username to crop down to.
Perhaps another feature instead of this could be released that removes all sources in the download queue that how no free slots???

Alexei Kubarev

Post by Alexei Kubarev » 2004-04-10 12:53

What would you like it to do in case noonehas any slots??? Remove the item from the queue?

Timzone8

Crop "Users Sources With Slots"

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-11 00:07

I'd like to affectively have in the context menu something along the lines of: "Crop Sources With Slots" so that when a source decides to lower their slot count or one it taken, they are removed from the queue leaving the file with fewer "Active" sources an "No sources without slots" for the file.

Alexei Kubarev

Post by Alexei Kubarev » 2004-04-11 04:41

Okej... but you still didnt answer to my question -- what would you like to happend in case there are No sources with slots? -- remove all and have "No users to download from"?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-11 15:07

Ok, so if a transfer is running, you want to remove all other sources?

Interesting. What's the underlying problem that this feature solves?

Timzone8

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-12 04:18

Ok, If there were NO Slots Available from any user then I would search for more sources with available slots THEN crop the available ones.
Cropping makes it easier to distinguish WHICH sources do or don't have available slots. So you don't waste time on a connection only to receive a "No Slots Available" because the user HAS lost their open slots or deliberately closed it since the search. Basicly, just easier management of sources and trying to clear up the No Slot sources that WERE available with slots. Sense make? =P (no)

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-04-12 04:58

How are you supposed to tell if they don't have slots available without connecting to them? A slot might open up at any time, you never know when.

Timzone8

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-12 05:12

"Crop Bad Sources" - Crops sources with No Slots or are no longer online.
Useful to manage sources when users close slots or change their username.

Qbert

Post by Qbert » 2004-04-12 05:15

I don't understand what this feature is supposed to help. DC++ would handle slot management of sources much better than the user.
Removing sources just because at one given time they don't have an open slot seems of no value. The only thing this could help is lower the time required to make an acceptable connection to a source with a slot, but not only could that be done better by sorting priority, it doesn’t need to be done because connection attempts are not blocking in sequence one after the other. I’ve always seen DC++ attempt to make a connection to every source, and continue doing so until it finds an open slot, which it then closes all other pending connections.

Why would you want to remove a source that is no longer online? If you haven’t finished downloading the file, those extra sources could come in handy if anything were to happen to your single connection. The offline sources could come back online at any point, and you would never know until you performed another search. DC++ on the other hand would immediately notice and begin attempting connections.
Timzone8 wrote:Useful to manage sources
Can you explain more to me what benefits you get from managing the sources in the ways you've suggested versus the way DC++ manages the sources now?
My Visual Studio .NET 2003 is licensed under my name, and the same for my operating system... What about you?
I surf on an OC3 without limitations, two to be exact, and I'm not joking.

Timzone8

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-15 20:44

At the moment when the sources loose their slots you can only find out when each connection has been activated then you have to manually remove the user from the queue. I'm suggesting a feature to remove such sources at a single click by activating the connections and checking for sources, then removing if a fault occurs. This would minimise amount of user management.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-15 21:39

Your use of "activated" confuses me greatly. Can you describe it again using a different term?

Timzone8

Activated?

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-17 04:23

Activated Connection: The connection between your computer and a source has been established and a response has been received, eg: a response may be "No Slots Available". I would like this Crop Source feature to establish a connection to each source and if it has no slots, then it should remove the source.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-04-17 05:46

yes we get that you want to remove peopel with no slots available, but dont see why you would want to. None of us others (well none that I know) sit there and remove people without slots from our queue as we figure they may have one in 5 minutes.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Activated?

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-17 15:29

What you call "activated", I'd call "established.

So, with search and replace:
Timzone8 wrote:At the moment, when the sources lose their slots you can only find out when each connection has been established then you have to manually remove the user from the queue. I'm suggesting a feature to remove such sources at a single click by establishing the connections and checking for sources, then removing if a fault occurs. This would minimise amount of user management.

Established Connection: The connection between your computer and a source has been established and a response has been received, eg: a response may be "No Slots Available". I would like this Crop Source feature to establish a connection to each source and if it has no slots, then it should remove the source.
If a user has slots, the transfer will just start. If you want to remove all users without slots, you very quickly could end up with no sources for a given file.

This doesn't fit with how I use DC++ - when I want to download something, I nearly always have to wait for a slot to open up. I've seen users that have good speed, that I'd like to prefer over others, but that can be handled though better means.

Timzone8

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-24 04:14

I won't speak on behalf of DC Users, but when downloading files I prefer "not" to wait until a slot is opened up because it takes up both time and bandwidth for each query transmitted to the source to check the availabity of slot. So if no users had slots the crop function should either set the file to pause or crop down to 1 source randomly and open a search for the file.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-26 20:31

Well, having to pay for international traffic might make that a more attractive feature to you. Twink's client, PhantomDC is used by a fair number of .NZ users, who (I understand) are in the same boat (having limited international traffic). Maybe he'd have more motivation to add this feature to his mod.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-04-27 18:17

GargoyleMT wrote:Well, having to pay for international traffic might make that a more attractive feature to you. Twink's client, PhantomDC is used by a fair number of .NZ users, who (I understand) are in the same boat (having limited international traffic). Maybe he'd have more motivation to add this feature to his mod.
not really, personally I dont think it would use that much bw

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-27 19:13

Twink wrote:not really, personally I dont think it would use that much bw
And I don't think there's sufficient demand to code it and put it into DC++. It could be counter-productive if users use it without understanding that it doesn't help.

Timzone8

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-04-29 01:41

Yes, better management of downloads in DC++ won't help the average user...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-29 21:03

Timzone8 wrote:Yes, better management of downloads in DC++ won't help the average user...
I fail to see how removing all sources but the current one helps users. Something like this feature would be more useful.