"Sources window" in download queue

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Wisp

"Sources window" in download queue

Post by Wisp » 2004-03-26 08:20

I would like a window where all the sources are showed of a specific file, in this window you could delete multiple users or switch to another user

I made a screenshot of the way i would like it [click]

In this way you could select one or multiple files and the sources are instantely showed, this gives a much better overview and the possibility to remove multiple sources at once. Maybe there could also be a different status for users who are waiting locally (because you can only use one user at a time) and users who have no slots.

The context menu should have the following options:

- remove user from queue
- switch to this user (only when status is 'waiting' and there is a free slot)
- get file list
- add to favorite users
- connect to hub
- Copy to clipboard > (see this topic)

The screenshot is very basic, but you get the idea

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-26 09:47

If you don't mind me askin but I was wondering If there's a tool out there for making screens like the one you presented and save it like to a jpeg or something
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-03-26 10:11

Guitarm wrote:If you don't mind me askin but I was wondering If there's a tool out there for making screens like the one you presented and save it like to a jpeg or something
photoshop 8)

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-26 10:27

Ah, Thanks! :) , Good idea you had there by the way, Why don't code it yourself ?
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-03-26 11:36

Guitarm wrote:Ah, Thanks! :) , Good idea you had there by the way, Why don't code it yourself ?
i'm not a c++ programmer..

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2004-03-26 13:51

But you can become one...

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-26 14:52

Hmmmmm......., I can tell you this, If you can make a screenshot the way you did with Photoshop you can learn C++ as well. But of course it takes some effort and some interrest. It's actually pretty interresting to peek at the code and try to figure out what it does. I've been doing so myself a couple of weeks and I'm starting to get a picture how this baby hangs together :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-26 23:05

My personal preference is to make the DL Queue into a treelist view, with sources listed (when expanded) under the queue item, and implement a properties dialog that will give you other information, but also what's shown in eMule's file properties:

Segmenting the window and making a sub-window/pane doesn't seem as intuitive for me as doing the treelistview.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-27 04:18

Hmmm.........., Yes, this seems to be a better idea. I agree. But is this really a big problem ?. I think it's workin fine as it is. Ok, ok, you could make all sorts of arrangements with the Transferview but why make it more difficult than it needs to be ?. I think we should be a bit careful not to get into the trap of doing like marketing departments all over the world: Put more and more stuff in there just to get a new version out :wink:

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-03-27 05:36

GargoyleMT wrote:My personal preference is to make the DL Queue into a treelist view, with sources listed (when expanded) under the queue item, and implement a properties dialog that will give you other information, but also what's shown in eMule's file properties:

Segmenting the window and making a sub-window/pane doesn't seem as intuitive for me as doing the treelistview.
But when you have a whole directory of files and you want to delete a user from all the files at once, how will you gonna do it?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-03-27 05:44

Guitarm wrote:But is this really a big problem ?.
Depends on your perspective I guess. I think that something does need to be done. At the moment when you have multiple sources they are displayed in the comma seperated list on a single line in the download queue. If you have more than, say 10 sources, this becomes ridiculous as you have to scroll forever to see the entire list and what you see is hard to mentally process. A vertical list would probably be more appropriate.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-27 06:33

Are you talkin' about the "users" field ?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-03-27 07:05

Guitarm wrote:Are you talkin' about the "users" field ?
Yep. Have I misunderstood the original post? :?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-27 07:26

No, no, no, It was me who misunderstood. If I had read the first mess properly I would have understood :) Ok, so if there's many sources for download......Hmmmmm........., But DC++ just chooses the one that's free, doesn't it ?, I myself never even look at that field...........

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-27 16:29

Wisp wrote:But when you have a whole directory of files and you want to delete a user from all the files at once, how will you gonna do it?
The same way you do now: Right click a queue item, Remove User From Queue: <user>
Guitarm wrote:I myself never even look at that field
Well, it'd be nicer if it wasn't so difficult to see all the sources for a file. There are a couple other changes that have been suggested to the Download Queue:
- keeping sources with errors across sessions
- keeping the name & adddress of the hub you last saw the user on
- the option to connect to the above hub
- renaming in progress downloads easily (hence the screenshot)

There are others, but those are the ones that I'm thinking of tackling.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-27 16:47

GargoyleMT wrote:Well, it'd be nicer if it wasn't so difficult to see all the sources for a file.
Sure, I agree to that
GargoyleMT wrote: - keeping the name & adddress of the hub you last saw the user on
Doesn't this exist already ? :? (Favorite Users...)
GargoyleMT wrote: - the option to connect to the above hub
Directly you mean ?, Not neading to copy Ip into some field....somewhere. In that case == good thing!
GargoyleMT wrote: - renaming in progress downloads easily (hence the screenshot)
Renaming downloads during downloading ?, I don't quite get that one........ :?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-27 17:20

Guitarm wrote:Doesn't this exist already ? :? (Favorite Users...)
Well, sure, favorite users have the hub name/address combo saved. Users who are sources don't though.

I wouldn't use this often, since I'm in the same hubs. But many users seem to visit differen hubs each DC++ session, so this would benefit them.
Guitarm wrote:Directly you mean ?, Not neading to copy Ip into some field....somewhere. In that case == good thing!
Yeah. It's a nice option, if nothing else.
Guitarm wrote:Renaming downloads during downloading ?, I don't quite get that one........ :?
Well, not literally in progress. Renaming any queued file easily is a bonus - the file dialog used in move/rename is clunky. F2 or a inline rename is another RFE that's open, as is drag & drop within the queue frame. But the suggestion I mentioned initially is one that will let people rename the file in that dialog easily, or select the name a number of other sources have, etc. The context someone mentioned this in was episode naming - 101 vs 1x01 vs S1E01, etc. Plus, some people like periods, underscores, or spaces as delimiters in filenames, others do not. Allowing this variation in personal preference easily would be nice...

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-03-27 21:13

GargoyleMT wrote:The same way you do now: Right click a queue item, Remove User From Queue: <user>
So you want expandable filenames with sources undeneath them, and also keep the context menu with all the sources? i think it's better to have one central list of users
Last edited by Wisp on 2004-03-27 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Wisp

Re: "Sources window" in download queue

Post by Wisp » 2004-03-27 21:16

:x

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-27 21:44

Wisp wrote:So you want expandable filenames with sources undeneath them, and also keep the context menu with all the sources? i think it's better to have one central list of users
The context menus can be changed as applicable. But when clicking on the file or the source, you will still have the option to remove them from every file.

About the intuititiveness of a central list of users, I happen to think differently. Sorry.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-03-28 07:54

GargoyleMT wrote:Well, not literally in progress. Renaming any queued file easily is a bonus - the file dialog used in move/rename is clunky...........
Oh, ok, so then we'll compensate the increase of different filenames for the same file with the TTH hash functions ? :) No, seriously I think it's a good suggestion, anything that ease's up the functionality of the GUI is primarily a good thing. The idea about drag & drop was a good one, Is Arne/you/anybody else interested in coding such a thing ?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-28 12:38

Guitarm wrote:Oh, ok, so then we'll compensate the increase of different filenames for the same file with the TTH hash functions ? :) No, seriously I think it's a good suggestion, anything that ease's up the functionality of the GUI is primarily a good thing.
People have been renaming files for a long time, so it didn't really occur to me that it would cause additional problems. :) But yes - I imagine, ultimately, the TTH being the true "root" of the download - what filename it has, and what a particular file is called on one of the download sources doesn't paritcularly matter. Between 0.401 clients, there only way to start a download without a root tth hash is if the remote side hasn't hashed their file yet.
Guitarm wrote:The idea about drag & drop was a good one, Is Arne/you/anybody else interested in coding such a thing ?
I'm not actively coding it, but I have some ideas. I'm unsure how to do drag-and-drop, but I have an old patch linked somewhere for drag-and-drop (for combining sources) in my mail client, or in the sourceforge tracker. If anyone else is interested in doing it more immediately, I can dig that up and hand it over.