Show bitrate, a way to do it, please take a look

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

powerup25

Show bitrate, a way to do it, please take a look

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-13 12:09

Hi, I was browsing the forums today to find why dc++ don't show bitrates of mp3. We are develop a net to share only mp3 and we need this feature if could be implemeted.
The reason seems to be this --> when the software are searching into mp3 files to find and show the bitrate, some lack come to us. This is totally true.
At this moment we have almost 100% users of our hubs using DC++, and all my people are claiming for this feature since the past two weeks, so i have came to here to find something out on this matter. There are manny people using DC++ to share mp3 too, when you are looking for one files, you can find manny of them in diferents qualitys.
Here is my question--> Can you implemented that feature in DC++ like an option for instance?. I mean for example you can activate/deactivate the feature in advanced settings, so people who dont want lack can deactivate it, and people who need this can use it. Same thing for resolution in Divx, althought this one is no important for us.
I think this feature is no bad to DC++ itself.
DC++ people could you make one post to see what you are thinking about the implemetation of this feature like an option and if is currently possible?.
Forum people what do you think about?.
I hope you can understand what i mean, my english is a total disaster :wink:
Good forum board here...

sandos

Post by sandos » 2003-02-13 14:48

This can be generalized to "Support of file metadata", which Im sure is already in a feature request. Thing is, this should be done right, and its not a 5 minute hack. (well it could be, but Im sure it wouldnt be too good)

BTW: Does anyone know of any opensource library for extraction of metadata? I cant find one myself.

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-13 15:33

You'll probably have to write your own - there are just too much different file formats (if metadata gets implemented, it should be done proerly - meaning it should cover majority of file types exchanged on DC [MP3, AVI, MPEG, OGG/OGM...])...

powerup25

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-13 19:21

ender wrote:You'll probably have to write your own - there are just too much different file formats (if metadata gets implemented, it should be done proerly - meaning it should cover majority of file types exchanged on DC [MP3, AVI, MPEG, OGG/OGM...])...
Impossible!, I can't write my own, i don't nothing about programming. If i know programing i will try to help. But what about to implement only the more commons files formats?. Like an mp3 and avi. In the future it could be implemented a few more. It is no my idea, i remember a program to share who born only in mp3 format, this program has been grows to support others formats rigth now. I'm NOT comparing this two programs, both are really good, but dc++ has more features and you can share everything you want, the other is only to share music and i still prefer dc++. So what do you think to implement only the more commons files formats?.
One question more. What about to included one module if there are any opensource project here or in other place to support this feature?. Well, surry, i'm writing just what i'm thinking now.

Bye

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-13 22:13

ender wrote:You'll probably have to write your own - there are just too much different file formats (if metadata gets implemented, it should be done proerly - meaning it should cover majority of file types exchanged on DC [MP3, AVI, MPEG, OGG/OGM...])...
It might be nice to use something like LibExtractor:

http://www.ovmj.org/~samanta/libextractor/

Of course, it needs to be extended, but if it's suitable for eventual use in DC++ and it has to be extended significantly, then that's two open source projects that benefit. :-)
powerup25 wrote:Forum people what do you think about?.
Sandos is right, this should be done once and done right, rather than a quick and dirty hack. I realize that most other P2P applications have this feature, but that's no reason to rush into it and come up with a solution that isn't elegant, and isn't extendable to other formats (image resolution, wave codec/length, video codec etc.)

powerup25

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-14 08:21

GargoyleMT wrote:It might be nice to use something like LibExtractor:
http://www.ovmj.org/~samanta/libextractor/
I was reading the link, that's exactly what i mean, it could be usefull, but i still consider to use metadata in DC++ like an option of the soft to be activated for the final user, so people who don´t want lack can deactivate the feature.
GargoyleMT wrote:Sandos is right, this should be done once and done right, rather than a quick and dirty hack. I realize that most other P2P applications have this feature, but that's no reason to rush into it and come up with a solution that isn't elegant, and isn't extendable to other formats (image resolution, wave codec/length, video codec etc.)
I agree too Sandos is right.
What dou you think is better about metadata? It most built in into dc++ or mplemented like an option?.
A few words of the autor of DC++ please.. Anyway, i think the metadata thing is really good to all of us and DC++, but i know is no easy at all to implement it.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-16 11:10

powerup25 wrote:I was reading the link, that's exactly what i mean, it could be usefull, but i still consider to use metadata in DC++ like an option of the [sort] to be activated for the final user, so people who don´t want [that?] can deactivate the feature.
Well, the way I envisioned it, meta-data gathering wouldn't block the operation of DC++, it'd have a low-priority thread running in the background, extracting file information and tags from audio/video files and adding it to the share manager, as well to another XML file that'd store the data, size of the file, and date of modification (a cache). Alternately, it could be retrieved (or queued to be retrieved) only when there was a search hit for it, similarly cached. I'm not sure why someone would want to turn gathering of that information off.
powerup25 wrote:What dou you think is better about metadata? It most built in into dc++ or mplemented like an option?.
A few words of the autor of DC++ please.. Anyway, i think the metadata thing is really good to all of us and DC++, but i know is no easy at all to implement it.
I think Arne (the author, of course) might be reading this thread, or he might not. In either case, he'll either reject or accept the feature when someone implements it and gives him a patch. I think basic file metadata should be implemented as a basic part of DC++, and perhaps bitzi support enabled (to launch a separate web browser so users can add their own comment about files).

I realize some people have concerns about this, specifically about CPU usage and re-fetching metadata on each share refresh.