Mass Rename In Download Queue

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Seisled

Mass Rename In Download Queue

Post by Seisled » 2004-03-14 01:58

I didn't find any older threads about this, so I thought I'd mention it. I often find myself renaming a lot of files (episodes in a television series are a good example) to fit certain criteria in order to display things properly upon download.

Example: Different files in a sequence are downloading from three lists in three different (1_V, 2V, and [X]3v) iterations. If I want them to display properly on download, I have to go in and rename them to 1V, 2V, 3v (or whatever).

If there were a mass-ranaming interface for items within the queue then this could be made a lot easier. This could possibly take the form of something like a small window with various input fields such as: "replace[text] with [text]" and "add [text] to beginning/end"

I'm sure you've all used some kind of interface like this before, so I won't bore you by going on and on about it. But for the above example, all you would do to display things in the proper sequence is select the relevant files, then do "replace [_V] with [V]" for pattern 1_V if pattern 2V is your standard (that's obvious, of course, but I just thought I'd write an example in case it's helpful). Of course, there are other issues here such as whether a system like this would make use of symbols (or perhaps even regular expressions); like # could represent a numeric digit so you could do "replace [X]#v with #V" & etc...
Of course this mass-renaming functionality could be tied into the search-window in some way (such as having a drop-down in the search window to select whether you want to search or do a mass rename) since there is some of this functionality that could potentially be used in searches as well.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-14 11:07

There's no existing thread about this in the Request For Enhancement tracker, so if you want it added, put it there.

The closest requests are:

[ 847630 ] Rename Easily
[ 811862 ] Rename shared file based on its name in other shares

I think either of the above features would be more widely used or appreciated than a mass-renamer... I'm also tempted by the eMule renaming scheme (essentially the second feature listed above):

Seisled

Post by Seisled » 2004-03-14 15:35

Submitted. Thanks for the info. :)