Remove all sources except for <nick>

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

kristnjov

Remove all sources except for <nick>

Post by kristnjov » 2004-01-24 07:37

Yeah, I'd say this would be a good feature. And another thing as well, "Lock this file to source:" and then there would be a list of the sources and you could pick one, so that that certain file would be downloaded ONLY from the source you specified.
kristnjov si teh winnn

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2004-01-24 11:19

What happens when that user goes offline? Then nothing gets downloaded.
Hehe.

not_milk

"Remove all sources except ..." would be awesome

Post by not_milk » 2004-02-05 00:39

That would be a very useful feature. If you have two parts to download and you get lucky and jump on a fat pipe that lets you download one part at >300kB, obviously you would like to switch the second part to download from that user too when you are done with the first part. And since the speed is so fast, usually this is done in less than an hour, so if the user goes off line, you would notice it. This is the reason I don't do "Search for Alternatives" right away, because if you do find a fast-uploading person, then it's a pain in the ass to remove a ton of sources, especially if the file is popular. Plus, if you are downloading the second part from ok source and that user goes off line, you are forced to refresh your search, since open slots info is no longer valid. That puts everybody and their dog on the source list, and you are forced to remove them one by one to leave only the fat pipe in the queue. I would say this is my #1 requested feature, just because it would save me a lot of clicking. I am not a programmer, but it seems this would be an easy feature to implement, since current DC++ already has "Remove Source" and even "Re-add source" options.

As far as the "Lock to source" goes, I think a more useful feature would be "Search for Alternatives Without Adding Sources to Queue". This way you can select only a single user or users with fast uploads and add them to queue. However, if "Remove All Except ..." is implemented, this would become less useful, since you can remove all the source you don't want with one click, and then later add them back one by one based on their upload speed.

mizushimo

Post by mizushimo » 2004-02-13 15:47

FYI: In order to stop adding everyone to the queue when searching you go to settings / advanced and uncheck "automatically search for alternate download locations"

I still think the feature mentioned would be useful. I'd like it!
"but we believe that we will be able to recoup much of the cost through a special pay-per-view TV special, in which the staff members responsible for the problems will commit ritual suicide to atone for their sins."