Search Just for ISO, BIN, CUE, or IMG files

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Would you use a cd image only search?

Poll ended at 2003-03-11 00:40

Yes
66%
no
34%
What the heck is a cd image file?
No votes

Total votes: 32

lefran

Search Just for ISO, BIN, CUE, or IMG files

Post by lefran » 2003-02-08 00:40

Hi I was wondering if in the type of search (Software, compressed, audio, etc.) you could put in a cd image only search.
Thank you
Lefran :lol:
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » 2003-02-08 02:12

hmmm not a bad idea, actually, but with minor problems.....

How would you know if a BIN-file was a CD-image or just some other data file? It could be anything...

And, as ISO-files can't do it alone, should it just search for all files of types (just from memory) ISO, NRG, CCD, CUE, BIN, SUB and IMG (theres gotta be more) - of which some are related to more than one of the other types. Isn't a CloneCD-image made up from a CCD, a CUE, a SUB and an IMG file? And isn't a binary image made up from a CUE and a BIN file?

Find an effective and elegant solution to that, and maybe you'll see it in a future version :) who knows

sarf

Re: Search Just for ISO, BIN, CUE, or IMG files

Post by sarf » 2003-02-08 05:58

lefran wrote:Hi I was wondering if in the type of search (Software, compressed, audio, etc.) you could put in a cd image only search.
If it were "put in" I hope that you understand that only DC++ clients would respond to such a request since the file types are interpreted on each client that is searched, leading to the current way of things where a DC++ client might respond with .ogg file when you are searching for an audio file, but a NM DC client would respond only with .mp3 files.

If this is what you're after, though, pester arnetheduck about it. He makes the final choice anyhow.

Sarf
---
"They used dogs. They used probes. They used cardio plate crossoffs. They used teepers. They used bribery. They used stick tites. They used intimidation. They used torment. They used torture. They used finks. They used cops. They used search and seizure. They used fallaron. They used betterment incentives. They used finger prints. They used the bertillion system. They used cunning. They used guile. They used treachery. They used Raoul-Mitgong but he wasn't much help. They used applied physics. They used techniques of criminology. And what the hell, they caught him." -- Harlan Ellison, "Repent, Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man"

mo
Forum Moderator

Post by mo » 2003-02-08 13:46

I would be afraid I would miss these type of files that are zip'd or rar'd.

I personally would not use it.

I would search for a file that had a size > xMB

raelin

Thinking to the future

Post by raelin » 2003-02-10 20:46

Rather than adding requests for particular types, is it possible to allow user defined types to search for? I'm not exactly sure how the searching for files works, so there are ways where this would be impossible, but there are also ways where this would be trivially simple.

That way, rather than adding CD-ROM images now, then later, when you want emulator roms, having to go through the whole rigamarole again, you just implement it so that anyone can define types as they see fit.

--Wes

sarf

Re: Thinking to the future

Post by sarf » 2003-02-11 04:02

It is not possible.
The way searching works is this:
You send a search request with some stuff in it, notably a number of words and a file type (size: one byte).

Currently, about 8 file types are used.
In NM DC, the AUDIO file type corresponds to file with an .mp3 (as well as others) extension, in DC++ a few other file extensions are returned .ogg, .wma and so on.
The thing is, it's the client that has a list of what extensions each file type has. Thus, to change the file types you have to change the client.

Sarf
---
"Give your child mental blocks for Christmas."

lefran

Post by lefran » 2003-02-11 10:03

AlleyKat wrote:hmmm not a bad idea, actually, but with minor problems.....

How would you know if a BIN-file was a CD-image or just some other data file? It could be anything...

And, as ISO-files can't do it alone, should it just search for all files of types (just from memory) ISO, NRG, CCD, CUE, BIN, SUB and IMG (theres gotta be more) - of which some are related to more than one of the other types. Isn't a CloneCD-image made up from a CCD, a CUE, a SUB and an IMG file? And isn't a binary image made up from a CUE and a BIN file?

Find an effective and elegant solution to that, and maybe you'll see it in a future version :) who knows
Wow! Didn't realise that there was all that different stuff! I just knew about bin&cue amd iso's. I'll work on it though!
Thanks

Gadget

Post by Gadget » 2003-02-12 20:15

.BIN CDRWin, CloneCD, Nero, Daemon Tools, IsoBuster
.BWI BlindWrite
.BWT BlindWrite, Daemon Tools
.C2D WinOnCD, IsoBuster
.CCD CloneCD, Daemon Tools
.CD CDi, OptImage, IsoBuster
.CDI DiscJuggler, Daemon Tools
.CDJ DiscJuggler
.CDP NTI CD-Maker
.CIF Easy CD Creator, DiscJuggler, IsoBuster
.CUE CDRWin, CloneCD, Nero, Daemon Tools, IsoBuster
.DAO Duplicator, IsoBuster
.FCD VirtualCD, IsoBuster
.GCD Prassi, IsoBuster
.GI Prassi (Global Image), PrimoDVD, IsoBuster
.IMG CloneCD, IsoBuster
.ISO Easy CD Creator, Nero, DiscJuggler, BlindRead, IsoBuster, Daemon Tools
.MD1 Gear CD Suite
.MDS Daemon Tools
.NCD NTI CD-Maker
.NRG Nero, IsoBuster
.P01 Toast, IsoBuster
.RAW DiscJuggler
.PXI Plextor Image file
.RDB Gear CD Suite
.SUB CloneCD
.TAO Duplicator, IsoBuster
.VCD VirtualCD
.XA Gear DC Suite

LtHavoc

Post by LtHavoc » 2003-02-13 14:03

.MDF Alcohol
.MDS Alcohol

SirSnurre

RAR

Post by SirSnurre » 2003-02-14 08:27

Well I only download rarfiles... and only share rar... I think it would be better to teach users to download and share rar

but I know that I don't have anything called life and things like that so why listen to litle me?

no_dammagE

Post by no_dammagE » 2003-02-18 04:04

just let the users create their own search schemes in XML
then you can add your own preferences to DC and that would be enough...

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-02-18 05:50

no_dammagE wrote:just let the users create their own search schemes in XML
then you can add your own preferences to DC and that would be enough...
Let us just get a few things straight here.

Whenever a search is issued in the DC protocol it contains a few things, like whether or not the search is using a constrained file size, what keywords should be matched and what type the file should be. The file type is transmitted as one byte, which works as an index to the file types on the client that does the search. There is no way to know what files belong to a certain file type for any client without testing the client with a real search. There is also no way currently for a client to tell other clients to search for files with certain extensions, only to suggest that the client should use a specified file type.
Thus, using XML and allowing users to determine their own file types will ONLY change what files belong to a certain file type on their client.

Hope this makes things more clear.

Sarf
---
It's more realistic to be a pessimist, but optimists have more fun.

Splicer

There are reasons that shouldn't be there

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-20 02:53

Don't do it arne it may reduce the legal usefullness in the eyes of which ever law makers you're around.

Not that I wouldn't like it, but still it strikes to much into the "this is just piracy software" area.

I say to solve the problem add empty search extension so we can put whatever we want, that way its our bad not yours.

Splicer

LOL

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-20 02:55

Redundancy be thy name.

Should have read a bit more instead of glanced. :oops:

lefran

Re: RAR

Post by lefran » 2003-02-20 09:00

SirSnurre wrote:Well I only download rarfiles... and only share rar... I think it would be better to teach users to download and share rar

but I know that I don't have anything called life and things like that so why listen to litle me?
Out of curiosity how do you search and share rar files? :?:

SirSnurre

Post by SirSnurre » 2003-02-23 09:00

Out of curiosity how do you search and share rar files?
Well I search and then I probably will find someone with the rar files. Also you can specify the filesize for when you search to 14 - 15 MB (thats the normal size of the rarfiles). Then you only choose to download all the rarfiles and when you got all you put the folder that contains them into your share

Napro

Post by Napro » 2003-02-25 13:39

yes. tho i think ya should also check out This Thread.