Slots and tags.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

LordAdmiral

Slots and tags.

Post by LordAdmiral » 2003-02-05 22:40

A different version of dedicated slots: Instead of slots being dedicated to a hub, what of dedicated slots to a person? When I grant somebody an extra slot, not only do I want them to have an extra slot, but I'd also probably want them not to take up the normal slots everybody else is vying for. There are two applications for this: 1) somebody I've granted a slot to times out in the middle of a download; and 2) somebody else times out, and cannot get back in because every slot is already full. I realize that even with this feature, there's no guarantee that the person who timed out will be able to get that slot back. However, there is a greater chance of that happening with this feature implemented.

I just thought up of another consequence, though whether it is good or not, only time will tell. People cannot play favorites and not have to suffer the consequences. That is, people cannot let somebody else in, and disconnect one of the existing uploads. A person wanting to grant a slot must live with the fact that there is now that many extra people downloading from that person. Now, it may be said that people will be more cautious afterwards in giving away slots. That may be true, but from what I've seen, people rarely give away slots anyway.

The other thing is, again, the extra tags in the description. I haven't checked yet (it isn't in the change log, as far as I know), but I'd like for the DC++ tags to all be visible all the time, or for the extra tags to be removed completely. Why? Again I say this: A number of scripts are careless, and will read the tags as either indicating a modified client, or as the number of slots open. This unintended consequence results in a kick if mild, and a permanent ban in the worst case, and thus even those who'd want to use the extra features would end up not doing so if one of the hubs they frequent had such a faulty script.