Automatic search

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

ravanelli

Automatic search

Post by ravanelli » 2003-12-16 04:24

Hello
there is a feature that will be very nice for me
I try to explain
I am looking for a very rare film named " gilda" (1946 version with italian sound)
If I find an user who have it no problem I can put in in my download queue and Cd ++ will dowload it or search for alternate very often
But what about if I do not find it?
I would like that Dc ++ make regular and automatic search with some key words (for me for example "gilda" ita" >500 mb " video"
And if he find some file working he put it in the download queue automaticly
That should be great but perhaps very difficult to do
Thanks

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-12-16 04:51

This is a little bit dangerous if you don't know the exact size. You could possibly find a match of a file which is 20GB large, and with a fast connection your harddrive will soon be filled. So, you probably have to set a max size aswell. But you can more or less almost do this now, the only problem is that today auto-search requires an exact size of files. This could ofcourse be changed, but hmm.. not sure if its meaningull for the masses.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-12-16 04:56

oohh yes, another follow-up on the subject. In the protocol you can search in the following ways, "Normal (no size restrictions)", "Atleast size", "Atmost size". Some also support a more or less hackish way to send "Exact" size. It is not possible to search for between size x and size y on outgoing searches. So replying clients might endup never answering with matches between x and y. Ofcourse your client can filter the responses and only adress the once between x and y.

so-users-might-have-the-file-you-look-for-but-never-tell-you-about-it-while-you-look-for-matches-ly'ers ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-12-16 05:00

This was what my small autoqueue extension to ADLSearch was kinda meant to achieve. Although it would only match files on download of filelists (and hopefully when dc++ automatically downloads them for queue matching, thou I haven't had time to test it much) Try reading the thread called "Sticky Queues"