quality notes attached to files on search dialog

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

rb

quality notes attached to files on search dialog

Post by rb » 2003-12-06 17:37

Hi

first of all, thx for all who made dc++ possible, its a great one. The main reason (and, to be honest, almost the only) is that because of the hib system its much faster than the eMule and kazaa I used before

BUT!

There are some features missing:

It would be very nice if I can attach some notes to the files which can be checked in search window (or at least when begun to download), so I can tell other people about the file, for example about a quality of a movie.
It can make finding fakes much easier, and also can help you to choose a file - its very annoying finding out the movie is a screener (very bad video and audio quality) too late. These files usually not smaller than high quality files, so you may as well choose those...

Thanks for all, hope you can make it!
rb

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-12-06 17:55

I predict that Sed will remove the poll. He is not fond of them.

I don't think the current protocol supports the addition of such metadata, but don't quote me on that.

As to knowing the quality of something or whether or not it is a screener, why not ask the source directly?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

rb

Post by rb » 2003-12-06 18:01

having 60 sources, i cannot ask all of them directly - and i myself would be very angry if the others keep asking me about the quality and type of the movies. I dont keep screenders, i rather not watch them, or if its a must i note it in the directory name, but others are much more lazy or just dont care.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-12-06 18:15

If you have sixty sources, then all sixty files are (theoretically ;)) the same. You therefore only need information from *one* person. There's no need to bother all sixty.

You seem to indicate in your initial post that you care about the quality of video files and you only want to download "quality" ones. Yet you would be angry if other people wanted to do same by asking you questions? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

DC++ Guide | Words

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-12-06 18:23

if theirs 60 sources normally at least one of then will put like [SVCD] or [DVDRip} in the filename

rb

Post by rb » 2003-12-06 18:32

first, i dont mind if other users downloading good quailty movies from me. In fact, when somebody ir trying to d/l the only one screener from me, i take some time to inform him/her that he/she is fussing with a bad one.

And im sure you agree that if i search for a popular movie's title, and i will have 60 hits, maybe 40 of them will be dvd rips, but 20 will be either screener, or worse-fake or uncomplete. If you are lucky you find a file with .DVDr. in the name, or anything showing its a good one (.sharereactor , .iNTERNAL, etc), but most hits will have only the title as a filename.

Of course, theoretically, all screeners will have a note in the filename, but anybody using a p2p system knows thats not true. So adding a note will be much useful.

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2003-12-06 18:44

I think most media files are descriptive enough, and people abuse most descriptions, given the chance, so I don't believe you idea will help anyone.

Beside's it only takes a short while to check the quality using Avipreview.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-12-06 19:38

rb wrote:but 20 will be either screener, or worse-fake or uncomplete.
Really? That's interesting. In my experience, incomplete files do not propagate very far and I have yet to find a fake file using DC++.

DC++ Guide | Words

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-12-06 20:31

i managed to download an incomplete file the other day.., although I informed the two other people with it (who weren't the original source) and we all resumed the file happily enuf off other ppl

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-12-07 01:15

of course TheParanoidOne was right.. regarding the removals of polls at least ;)
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-12-07 04:31

One out of three's not bad. :)

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-12-08 12:09

TheParanoidOne wrote:I don't think the current protocol supports the addition of such metadata, but don't quote me on that.
Blammo.

You can do it, but it is a hack. Meta-information, as in a nice Gnutella client like Shareaza, would be transmitted along with search results. Unfortunately, you can't blindly rewrite the format of the $SR command, though you could spam clients with an $ESR (extended) result. This is something that will be addressed in whatever protocol replaces DC in DC++.

(This topic has come up before, but this discussion looks fairly healthy... ;))

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-12-08 16:23

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember an interesting thread about adding hashing information to search results.

Found it: Adding file hashes to the protocol
Might be interesting to read as background information but only if you're into that sort of thing. ;)

DC++ Guide | Words