Some things to think about when (before) posting...

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Some things to think about when (before) posting...

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-01-05 19:56

Well, to make these forums as nice as possible for everyone, make sure that:

1) You're not posting duplicates. Check the old posts, somebody might already have thought of what you're about to write...
2) You're not advertising hubs. There's a public hub list for those that want to know about new hubs, but we certainly don't! *Exception* A small discrete addie in your signature is ok, the point is that I don't want posts containing only a hub addie, i e make sure to write something useful as well!
3) You're nice to the others. Calling people idiots usually says more about yourself than the other person.
4) You've thought about what you're about to write, and as important, how you write it. The answers you'll get will never be better than the question you ask!

It shouldn't be too hard now, should it?

Here are some useful links to help you out (after having read "Readme.txt" and preferably "Changelog.txt"): Use them wisely before posting, your question might already be answered!

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-04-15 06:06

He didn't mention it because it shouldn't need to be said, but I hope you'll forgive my adding that people should please follow basic netiquette (net etiquette) too... (That link is a URL to the "official" netiquette homepage if there can really be such a thing as an official one.)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Ask questions intelligently

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-15 07:32

And if we're on the subject of things that might not, but probably do, have to be said, there's ESR's very, very good and relevant essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"

Kenneth-Chile

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-05-02 23:59

GargoleyMT...for your signature:

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D
In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In Practice, there is.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

dunno why

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-05-03 20:23

Actually, I've been thinking about a "frequently discussed features" dynamic document somewhere. Although users woudn't use it before they posted, it would be a good thing to have an old style (physical) bulletin board for specific features with the "best" ways of implementing it. This might even draw more programmers out of the woodwork to implement requested features. And of course there could be a BALTEETED section.

Kenneth-Chile

Re: dunno why

Post by Kenneth-Chile » 2003-05-04 19:48

GargoyleMT wrote:Actually, I've been thinking about a "frequently discussed features" dynamic document somewhere. Although users woudn't use it before they posted, it would be a good thing to have an old style (physical) bulletin board for specific features with the "best" ways of implementing it. This might even draw more programmers out of the woodwork to implement requested features.
Good idea! :o
GargoyleMT wrote: And of course there could be a BALTEETED section.
LOL! :lol:
In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In Practice, there is.

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-05-11 13:01

Blue screen in dos/*nix? ^_^

Anyway, that was just evil posting that here d-:

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-06-21 19:46

no polls anymore please!

there are too many useless polls in here...
discuss something first, and if the opinions start looking like a yes-no contest, start a poll - then and only then

thank you for your attention :) ...and compliance :P
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

AngleWyrm

Post by AngleWyrm » 2003-12-08 19:27

Also, specifically about this thread and it's ilk, be careful about the burden of reading you assign to users before they are considered "acceptable" to post.

Would it be reasonable to require every 17-year-old in the USA to read ALL the rules and regulations of law before becoming 18?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-12-08 19:42

AngleWyrm wrote:Also, specifically about this thread and it's ilk, be careful about the burden of reading you assign to users before they are considered "acceptable" to post.

Would it be reasonable to require every 17-year-old in the USA to read ALL the rules and regulations of law before becoming 18?
If users do not search for themselves, what's the point in keeping old posts?

It boils down to a "Help Me!!!111!!" vs. "Give me the tools to help myself" attitude.

In practice, we're fairly lenient considering the TREMENDOUS amount of repeat posts we get here ("What does the asterisk mean?" is a very common one). The rules are all common sense anyhow.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2003-12-08 19:47

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.. so, yes.

Anyway, that analogy doesn't apply because the gist of this thread is Use the search button, not read the whole forum before you post.